If you plan to take the IELTS Test, you should be aware that the IELTS Speaking Task 2, also known as the IELTS Cue Card Section, is one of the test components. Be well-prepared, as this is considered one of the most challenging sections of the IELTS Test.
Why? It is because you need to speak for a longer period about a subject about which you may have limited understanding.
Furthermore, you have very little time to prepare. But do not be concerned! This article includes a few sample responses for the cue card topic ‘Describe your favorite song.’ Continue reading.
What is the IELTS Cue Card Question?
In the IELTS Speaking Task 2, the examiner will offer you a topic card. On the card, there will be a given topic as well as some suggestions for what to include.
The theme will be based on someone you know, an event you have been to, or something you enjoy.
You have a minute to plan and prepare your speech. You will be given a piece of paper and a pencil by the examiner so that you can jot down your ideas.
The examiner will provide you with one minute before you begin your speech. Without interruption from the examiner, you have up to two minutes to speak.
The examiner will listen without saying anything; however, they may nod or make a motion to encourage you to continue speaking.
When your two minutes are over, the examiner will instruct you to stop and may ask you a couple of questions regarding what you have just said. You must respond to these questions quickly and succinctly.
How to Answer this Specific Cue Card Question: “Describe Your Favorite Song”
Describe Your Favorite Song
Guidelines to answer this question
You should say:
- The title and the artist behind the song
- What kind of song it is
- How you know about it
And explain how you feel when you sing or hear this song.
- Think of a song that you really like. It could be any song. However, you need to have a lot of knowledge about this song (the singer and the story behind the song) so you will have enough information to discuss later on.
- The moment you have picked a song, stick with it. You are given only a minute to prepare and you cannot afford to start over should you decide to change the song you have chosen.
- Begin writing notes. State what song it is and who the artist is. If you know the composer and other people behind it, it would be better. Discuss what kind of song it is and when you first heard of it. Lastly, explain how you feel when you sing or hear this song and what makes this song special to you.
- Simply write keywords and phrases to make the most of your time. Do not write sentences.
- Make use of a sophisticated vocabulary and complex language structures. This will increase your chances of achieving a high mark on this section of the test.
- Take notes rapidly, but make sure your handwriting is legible to you. If the examiner cannot understand what you have written, you will not be penalized. It is not your penmanship, but the content and delivery of your speech that will determine your marks.
- Keep an eye on the notes you have written down from time to time. It is acceptable, and the examiner will not prevent you from doing so. It is in fact the main reason you are provided with a piece of paper and a pencil.
Sample Responses: “Describe Your Favorite Song”
Sample Response 1:
“Whenever I have spare time, I like listening to music. So far, I’ve listened to various music, but “Annie’s Song” struck me as the most beautiful. John Denver’s folk-rock music is featured here. Annie’s Song is primarily a country song that John Denver wrote and recorded himself. It’s definitely one of his most famous songs, and it spent several days at the top of the charts. I usually listen to the song on my computer and avoid using any other gadgets. I want to take in every beat. I cherish every guitar stroke and word when I listen to music on my computer.
John Denver penned the song in honor of his wife Annie Martell Denver, and it took him only ten minutes to write. He was moved to reflect on his marriage. When I listen to this song, I always have the same feelings. The lyrics make me want to enter my dream world. In my mind’s eye, I see mountains, springtime, and rain.
The majority of “Annie’s Song” is a love song. After an emotional encounter with his wife, the musician wrote the song. Then he realized that life without his wife was meaningless. In his thoughts, he heard the tune. But the song has become one of my favorites not only because of its lyrics, but also because it represents some of the most universal human emotions. Living a life with a spouse is always desirable, and dying in the arms of one’s loved ones is a question of luck. Despite the fact that it was penned as a homage to Annie Martell Denver, it became a worldwide hit. This is also my favorite song for the same reason.”
Follow-up Question 1:
How has your musical taste evolved over the years?
“To be honest, I think it hasn’t changed that much. I am still listening to the same music I’ve listened to in the past. I enjoy listening to pop, ballad, and slow rock music, and I think it’s the same kind of music I’d be listening to when I’ll be in my 60s.”
Follow-up Question 2:
In your opinion, what would life be without music?
“Life would be quiet and monotonous without music. Apart from eating and conversing, what would we do at parties? That could easily pass for a meeting. Consider how lively and engaging everyone was at the nicest party you’ve ever attended. Especially when the crowd’s favorite song started playing.”
Sample Response 2:
“I have always considered myself a huge music enthusiast. I enjoy listening to music because it allows me to replenish my batteries and elevate my spirits after an exhausting day of work and studies. I listen to a wide range of music, from rock to jazz. What I’ll be sharing with you today is ‘Hello,’ one of my favorite songs. Adele, an internationally recognized performer from the United Kingdom, performs the song. Her CDs have produced a fortune for her, but she has kept a low-profile existence. I’m a major admirer of hers. I have a sizable collection of her albums, which I treasure.
Last week, I first heard the song. It happened while I’m having my finals. I was up to my ears in revision, and it was a very nerve-wracking moment, so I needed to unwind. That’s when I decided to view some music videos on YouTube. I was intrigued and completely blown away the moment I heard Adele’s voice. Since then, I’ve had the song in my playlist.
The song appeals to me for a variety of reasons. Her voice, which is really relaxing and has a beautiful warm tone to it, was the first thing that struck me. The lyrics are really excellent. It discusses the feelings that arise when two individuals leave a relationship, and I can absolutely connect to that.”
Follow-up Question 1:
Which do you prefer, TV or music?
“Despite the fact that television consumes a significant portion of my time, I could definitely live without it. Those shows that we watch, we can read them through books. Music, on the other hand, can never be replaced. There is no way to listen to music in any other way. It ultimately comes down to what can and cannot be replaced.”
Follow-up Question 2:
What do you think is the best place and time to listen to music?
“That’s the beauty of music: you can listen to it anytime you wish to. The best moment to listen to music, in my opinion, is during social occasions, such as when you are with close friends and you build a soundtrack for that occasion.”
Vocabulary List for Answering the Question: “Describe Your Favorite Song”
Below are some words from the sample responses for the cue card topic ‘Describe your favorite song.’ with their definitions and example sentences to guide you.
|Word||Part of Speech||Definition||Example Usage of the Word in a Sentence|
|ballad||noun||Any light, easy song, particularly one with a nostalgic or romantic tone||“Elvis envisioned himself as a ballad singer.”|
|cherish||verb||To tenderly safeguard and care for someone||‘This trip to Ohio will be cherished fondly by the president.”|
|desirable||adjective||Wanted as an appealing, helpful, or essential course of action||‘The house offers a lot of desirable aspects.”|
|elevate||verb||To raise to a more significant or outstanding level||‘Candidates that can elevate and motivate the American people are needed.”|
|emotional||adjective||Provoking or marked by strong emotions||‘It was a painfully emotional goodbye.”|
|enthusiast||noun||A person who is tremendously passionate about a certain activity or issue||“He was also a fellow sailing enthusiast, by the way.”|
|homage||noun||A public display of high honor or respect||“On this day, we pay homage to his accomplishments.”|
|meaningless||adjective||Having no significance or meaning||“To men who earn millions of dollars, fines are meaningless.”|
|nerve-wracking||adjective||Creating tension or stress||“Speaking in front of the public can be a nerve-wracking experience.”|
|reflect||verb||Consider something thoroughly or deeply||‘She had to pause and reflect to consider what she had accomplished.”|
|replenish||verb||To fill something up again||“All creatures need sleep to replenish their energy in preparation for the next awakening.”|
|sizable||adjective||Fairly large||“Folks who know her claim she has an awareness of the world outside of her sizable backyard.”|
|spare||adjective||In addition to what is needed for everyday use||“In her spare time, she enjoys reading cookbooks.”|
|strike||verb||To cause someone to have a specific impression||“He was struck by the magnificence of the scenery.”|
|unwind||verb||To relax after a tiring or exhausting activity||‘She decided to take advantage of the chance to unwind after a tumultuous few weeks.”|
Additional Reading — IELTS Speaking Cue Card Questions
- Describe a Person You Admire
- Describe Your Best Friend
- Describe Someone Famous that You Want to Meet
- Describe a Person Who You Think is a Good Leader
- Describe a Neighbor You Like
- Describe a Place You Want to Travel Next
- Describe a Historical Place that You Have Been to
- Describe a Place You and Your Friend Went to Recently
- Describe a Place Where You Spend Most of Your Free Time
- Describe a Country that You Want to Visit
- Describe a Gift that You Have Received Recently
- Describe an Item of Clothing that You Bought for Someone
- Describe a Piece of Art that You Want to Buy
- Describe Something that You Recently Lost
- Describe a Vehicle that You Want to Buy
- Describe an Activity that You Find Enjoyable
- Describe a Place Where You Love to Shop
- Describe an Event that You Recently Attended
- Describe One of the Busiest Days of Your Life
- Describe a Hobby that You Do with Your Family
- Describe a Difficult Decision that You Made
- Describe a Time When You Felt Lucky
- Describe the First Time You Had a Mobile Phone
- Describe a Time When You Helped a Stranger
- Describe a Time When You Tried to Do Something but Weren’t Successful
- Describe Your Favorite Teacher
- Describe Your Favorite Photograph
- Describe Your Favorite Subject in School
- Describe Your Favorite Actor
- Describe a Situation that Made You Upset
- Describe a Time When You Had an Argument with Someone
- Describe One of the Happiest Travels You Ever Had
- Describe an Incident When You Got Scared
- Describe a Time When You Felt Relieved
- Describe a Workaholic Person You Know
- Describe an Interesting Course You Took
- Describe a Time When Someone at Work Gave You a Compliment
- Describe a Quiet Place at School Where You Like Spending Your Free Time
- Describe a Time When Something Unfortunate Happened at Work