If you are looking for a perfect test to assess your English language fluency, then the CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) C2 Test is the one for you. It is taken by over 45,000 people in more than 80 countries worldwide each year to prove their advanced mastery of the English language.
The CPE C2 Proficiency English Test can prove to the world that you are an extremely competent English speaker. If you are intrigued by what this test is about and the other details, then read on.
In this article, you will learn what the C2 Proficiency Test is, the exam format, how it’s scoring, and information on exam dates and locations.
- What is CPE C2?
- How Much Does The CPE C2 Test Cost?
- Why Take the CPE C2?
- Where is the CPE C2 Test Accepted?
- CPE C2 Proficiency Test Exam Format
- What are the 2 Types of the CPE C2 Exam?
- How Does Scoring for the C2 Proficiency Test Work?
- CPE C2 Exam Dates and Locations
- How to Prepare for CPE C2 Exam
What is CPE C2?
CPE C2 Proficiency Test is previously known as the Cambridge English: Proficiency, and it also stands for Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). It is one of the Cambridge English Qualifications Tests. Furthermore, it is the highest level in the Cambridge English exam suite.
This English Proficiency Test assesses one’s capabilities and qualifications in mastering the English language four skills. It is a standardized English language assessment test provided by the Cambridge Assessment English, known as the Cambridge English Language Assessment and University of Cambridge ESOL examination.
It is recognized in most countries abroad to give official proof or have the Cambridge Certification of Proficiency in English for the individual’s advanced proficiency in the English language. The certificate from the CPE C2 Proficiency Test can also be used for academic and professional purposes.
The CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) Test focuses on the C2 Level of CEFR. It is designed for those with a high-level knowledge of the English language that aims to pursue a career internationally or plan to take advanced degrees in universities abroad. Moreover, the CPE C2 test provides the Certificate of Proficiency in English to these individuals.
C2 Proficiency English Test (CPE) is distinct from the CAE C1 Advanced English Test, even though they are both administrated by the Cambridge Cambridge Assessment Group. The group also partners with the British Council, IDP, IELTS Australia to co-create, manage and administer the IELTS Exam.
How Much Does The CPE C2 Test Cost?
The CPE (Cambridge English: Proficiency) C2 test costs around cost £172. The paper-based for the CPE C2 exam costs around €318, and the computer-based test is around €346.
In the US, the exam fee for this exam is about USD 150 to USD 250.
Take note that the pricing for the test differs per location and on what type of CPE C2 exam you will take. Therefore, it is best to contact the nearest CPE C2 testing centers in your area for more details regarding the fees.
Why Take the CPE C2?
The CPE C2 is accepted and recognized by universities and private organizations all around the world. It gives you an edge and proves your proficiency in the English language at an extremely high level. In addition, it shows your mastery in using the language fluently in a demanding research environment, academic setting, and professional situations.
If you pass this test, it shows that you can study with ease the demanding subjects in the universities at the highest level, which includes postgraduate and Ph.D. programs. Moreover, you can speak about complex or sensitive issues without any problem.
In addition, you can also deal confidently with tough questions, negotiate, and use the English language efficiently at all levels.
Where is the CPE C2 Test Accepted?
The Cambridge Proficiency Exam (CPE) C2 exam is offered to over 2,800 testing centers worldwide. It is also accepted in 130 countries worldwide, and take note that all these testing centers have passed and met the Cambridge English high standards.
Here is a list of universities, organizations, private institutions, and government offices worldwide that accept the CPE C2 Test and require the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
Which Universities and Colleges in the UK Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Aberystwyth University
- All Nations Christian College
- American Continental University – London
- Aston University
- Bedford College
- Birmingham City University
- Blackburn College
- British School of Osteopathy
- Brunel University
- Burton College
- Canterbury College
- Central College Nottingham
- Central School of Speech and Drama
- City University, London – City Law School
- Cornwall College
- Durham College
- Dundee College
- European Business School London
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Falmouth University
- Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Greenwich School of Management
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Harper Adams University College
- Henley Business School
- Imperial College London
- Keele University
- Kidderminster College
- Kingston University
- Lancaster University
- Leeds Beckett University
- London Academy Business School
- London Business School
- London Centre for Fashion Studies
- London Film School
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Middlesex University
- NCI University in London
- Nottingham Trent University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Perth College
- Plymouth College of Art
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Regents’ University London
- Richmond Schol of Management Studies
- Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
- South Devon College
- St. Georges’ University of London
- Swansea University
- Ulster University
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Bradford
- University of Cambridge
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of Manchester
Which Universities and Colleges in the US Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Albany State University
- American University, Washington
- Art Institute of California, Los Angeles
- Auburn University
- Bentley University
- Berkeley College
- Bradley University
- California Culinary Academy
- Centenary College of Louisiana
- Cleveland State University
- Dartmouth College
- East Georgia State College
- Florida State University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Harvard College – Harvard University
- Irvine Valley College
- Jacksonville University
- John Hopkins University
- Knox College
- Lake Tahoe Community College
- Longwood University
- Louisiana State University
- Manchester University
- Manhattan Institute of Management
- Metropolitan State University
- Michigan State University
- Middlebury College
- Missouri State University
- Murray State University
- New York University
- Orange Coast College
- Oregon State University
- Philadelphia University
- Quinnipiac University
- Springfield College
- Standford University
- State University of New York
- Texas Tech University
- The University of West Alabama
- The Julliard School
- Tulane University
- University of Arkansas
- University of California
- University of Chicago
- University of Delaware
- University of Idaho
- University of Kansas
- University of Michigan
- University of North Georgia
- Walsh University
Which Universities and Colleges in Australia Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Australia Institute of Business and Technology
- Australian Maritime College
- Canberra Institute of Technology
- Central Queensland University
- Charles Darwin University
- Charles Sturt University
- Curtin University
- Deakin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Federation University Australia
- Flinders University
- Griffith University
- Holmesglen Institute of TAFE
- James Cook University
- Kent Institute Australia
- La Trobe University
- Macquarie University
- Martin College
- Melbourne Polytechnic
- Monash University
- Murdoch University
- National Art School
- Queensland University of Technology
- RMIT University
- South Western Sydney Institute
- Southern Cross University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- TAFE NSW
- University of Adelaide
- University of Canberra
- University of New South Wales
- University of Queensland
- University of South Australia
- University of Sydney
- University of Western Australia
Which Universities and Colleges in France Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- AgroParisTech – Erasmus Mundus
- Aix-Marseille Universite – Erasmus
- CUUEP – Littoral (Universite du Littoral)
- Ecole Centrale de Nantes
- ESSEC Business School Paris
- Grenoble Ecole de Management
- HEC School of Management
- ICN Business School
- IFP School
- Institut National des Sciences Appliques (INSA)
- Kedge Business School – Marseille
- Lille Polytechnicum
- PSE – Paris School of Economics
- Telecom Bretagne
- Universite Blaise Pascal
- Universite Catholique de Lille
- Universite de la Reunion
- Universite de Lumiere
- Universite de Metz
Which Universities and Colleges in Ireland Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- All Hallows College
- Cork College of Commerce
- Dublin City University
- Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technology
- Galway Cultural Institute
- Hibernia College – School of Management
- Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT)
- Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
- National College of Ireland
- National University of Ireland
- St Nicholas Montessori College
- St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Cork UCC
- Waterford Institute of Technology
Which Universities and Colleges in Singapore Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Curtin University
- DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Asia
- Informatics Education
- London School of Business and Finance – Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University – NTU
- Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)
Which Universities and Colleges in Argentina Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Centro Regional Univesitario Cordoba IUA
- IIPE UNESCO Beunos Aires – Erasmus Mundus
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica Argentina (UCA)
- Universidad Abierta Interamericana
- Universidad Adventista del Plata
- Universidad Austral
- Universidad Blas Pascal
- Universidad Catolica de Cuyo
- Universidad de La Plata – Argentina
- Universidad Catolica de Salta (UCASAL)
- Universidad Catolica de Santa Fe
- Universidad del Belgrano
- Universidad de Congreso
- Universidad de Palermo
- Universidad de San Andres
- Universidad FASTA
- Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata
- Universidad Nacional de Misiones
- Universidad Nacional del Litoral
- Universidad Nacional de Lanus
Which Universities and Colleges in Austria Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Carinthia University of Applied Science
- Diplomastische Akademie Wien
- Donau-Universitat Krems
- Fachhochschule Campus Wien
- Fachhochschule St. Polten
- Graz University of Technology – TU Graz
- Johannes Kepler Universitat (JKU)
- Technische Universitat Wien
- Universitat Innsbruck – Erasmus Mundus
- University of Applied Sciences St. Polten
- University of Applied Sciences, Krems
- University of Graz
- University of Vienna
- Webster University, Vienna
- WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business)
Which Universities and Colleges in Brazil Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Centro Universitario Metodista
- Centro Universitario Newton Paiva
- Instituto de Pesquisas Energetica e Nucleares (IPEN)
- Rede de Ensino Superior ESPM
- Rede de Ensino Superior PUC Sao Paulo
- Santa Casa de Belo Horizonte
- Universidad Internacional Tres Fronteras Brazil
- Universidade de Passo Fundo (UPF)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora (UFJF)
- Universidade Federal de Pelotas (UFPE)
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
- Universidade Federal de Parana
- Universidade Santa Ursula (USU)
Which Universities and Colleges in Belgium Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Brussels School of International Studies, University of Kent
- College of Europe – Belgium
- KU Leuven
- LUCA School of Arts – Erasmus Mundus
- Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management
- United Business Institutes – UBI Belgium
- Universite Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) – Erasmus Mundus
- Universiteit Gent – Erasmus Mundus
- Unviersity of Antwerp
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel, The Institute for European Studies (IES)
Which Universities and Colleges in Norway Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Aelesund University College
- Bodo University College (BUC)
- International Summer School, University of Oslo
- Molde University
- Nord University
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
- Oslo Metropolitan University – OsloMet
- Telemark University College
- University of Bergen
- University of Stavanger
- Vestfold University College
- Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL)
Which Universities and Colleges in New Zealand Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Aoraki Polytechnic
- Ara Institute of Canterbury (CPIT)
- Auckland Institute of Studies – AIS
- Laidlaw College
- Lincoln University – New Zealand
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
- Otago Polytechnic
- Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
- Unitec Institute of Technology
- University of Auckland
- University of Canterbury
- University of Otago – New Zealand
- University of Waikato
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic
Which Universities and Colleges in Other Countries Accepth the CPE C2 Test?
- Centro Regional Universitario Cordoba IUA – Argentina
- Institut de Management Strategique et d’Intelligence Economique IMSIE – Algeria
- Beltai International University – Cambodia
- Human Resource University (HRU) – Cambodia
- Western University – Cambodia
- International Graduate Business School Zagreb (IGBS Zagreb) – Croatia
- Ateneo de Manila University – Loyala Schools – Philippines
- Concordia International College of Business and Development – Philippines
- American University of Science and Technology (AUST) – Lebanon
- Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK) – Lebanon
- Institute of Career Development – Pakistan
- Premier Law College – Pakistan
- Stellenbosch University – South Africa
- University of Cape Town
- University of Fort Hare
- Madan Mohan Malaviya University of Technology – India
- Nice Academy – India
- Wikas Institute of Learning (WIL) – India
- Escuela Militar de Uruguay – Uruguay
- Universidad de Montevideo – Uruguay
Which UK Organizations and Corporations the Accept CPE C2 Test?
- British Accreditation Council – BAC
- Cambridge Pharma Consultancy Ltd.
- Chevron – United Kingdom
- First Advantage Europe Limited (FADV)
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) – United Kingdom
- May Gurney Ltd
- MGH Corporate Risks
- Nestle – United Kingdom
- Pelliconi UK Ltd
- Pirelli – United Kingdom
- Roche – United Kingdom
- Rockwell Automation – United Kingdom
- Rolls-Royce International Ltd.
- Security Watchdog
- UBS – United Kingdom
- UPM Kymmene Ltd.
- Watson Wyatt LLP
Which American Organizations and Corporations Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Carnival Cruise Lines
- Distance Education Accrediting Commissions – DEAC
- Elegant Networks Inc.
- EPAM Systems, Inc. – USA
- Sterling Diligence
Which Swiss Organizations and Corporations in Switzerland Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Accenture – Switzerland
- Allianz Suisse
- Bluewin AG
- Cablecom GmbH
- Ericsson AG
- Estee Lauder AG
- European Broadcasting Union (EBU)
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
- Glencore International AG
- ING Bank (Switzerland) Ltd
- Kessler & Co. AG
- KYOS SA
- Nokia (Schweiz) AG
- Rado Watch Co. Ltd
- Schweizer Armee (Swiss Army)
Which Organizations and Corporations in Spain Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Abbot Laboratories SA
- Banco de Espana
- Bayer Spain
- Fujitsu Spain
- H&M – Hennes & Mauritz – Barcelona
- Johnson & Johnson
- KPMG – Spain
- Mondelez International
- Philip Morris International
- Viva Air
Which Organizations and Corporations in China Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Beijing Philo Maid Service
- Great Western Education – China Office
- Microsoft – China
- Shandong Kerui Petroleum Equipment Co., Ltd
- Shenzhen Nova Energy Co., Ltd
- Sterling Risq – China
Which Organizations and Corporations in France Accep the CPE C2 Test?
- Banque de France
- ECM – Engineering Conception Maintenance
- Marine Nationale
- Mazars & GuerardNXP
- VOLVO Group
Which Organizations and Private Institutions in Other Countries Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- Human Resource Solutions International – Pakistan
- Aysa Immigration – United Arab Emirates
- Etisalat, National Telecommunications Company – United Arab Emirates
- Valtrans Transportation Systems & Services – United Arab Emirates
- Enconcept Co. Ltd – Thailand
- Wedu – Thailand
- WisdomWide Co. Ltd – Thailand
- Xeersoft Co. Ltd – Thailand
- N-able (Private) Limited – Sri Lanka
- Research Intelligence Unit – Sri Lanka
- Afkar Al Amjad Trading Est – Saudi Arabia
- Al Jazirah Vehicles Agencies – Saudi Arabia
- Sanofi Aventis – Saudi Arabia
- TeleCare Company – Saudi Arabia
- Corpnet Global Corporation – Philippines
- First Advantage – Philippines
- GO2 Virtualahan – Philippines
- Ridley & Co. – Philippines
- BGS Checks Sdn Bhd – Malaysia
- Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM) – Malaysia
- Banque Misr – Egypt
- Egyptian Maintenance Company (EMC) – Egypt
- Microsoft – Egypt
- Minga House Foundation – Colombia
- Agrosuccess – Denmark
- Royal Danish Air Force (RDAF) – Denmark
- Black and White Investigation – Hong Kong, SAR of China
- Central Business Information Limited – CBI – Hong Kong, SAR of China
- Allianz – Ireland
- YMCA – Ireland
Which Government Institutions Across the World Accept the CPE C2 Test?
- AICEP – INOV Contacto Portugal – Portugal
- Assoc. De Proprietarios Estrangerios em Portugal (AFPOP) – Portugal
- Westcon Group European Operations Ltd – United Kingdom
- Westminster City Council – United Kingdom
- Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia – USA
- Consulate General of Switzerland – USA
- Kyiv City Council – Ukraine
- Bureau of Education – Tainan City Government – Taiwan
- Central Personnel Administration (CPA) – Taiwan
- NOKUT – The Norwegian Agency of Quality Assurance in Education – Norway
- Office of the Auditor General – Norway
- FIDERH – Banco de Mexico – Mexico
- Mexico State Government Office – Mexico
- SEP – Ministry of Public Education – Mexico
- The Service Institution of Higher Education – Regional DKI Jakarta – Indonesia
- Directorate of Primary Education of Xanthi – Greece
- Hellenic Police – Greece
- Knossos Beach – Greece
- Supreme Council for Personnel Selection (ASEP) – Greece
- CNRS – France
- ENA (Ecole Nationale d’Administration) – France
- Academie de Limoges – France
- Academie d’Orleans-Tours – France
CPE C2 Proficiency Test Exam Format
The latest version of the Cambridge Proficiency Exam was launched last 2013. It was introduced to meet and fully cater to the needs of the Universities, Immigration Offices, and employers.
Take note that in the speaking section of the test, all English accents are accepted. So you just need to make sure that it is clear and easy to understand when you speak. And as for the writing part, you can also use either American Spelling or UK Spelling; both are still accepted. However, do not mix the two variations when writing; choose one.
The CPE C2 Proficiency Test contains four papers: reading, listening, writing, and speaking tests. All of these tests are formatted to test one’s English skills. Here are the Four Papers of the CPE C2 Test.
1. Reading and Use of English
This section of the CPE C2 proficiency test contains various types of questions. It requires you to read paragraphs, articles, or short texts. And this paper is consists of seven parts with 53 test questions. The test duration for this is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
It also has a Cloze Test format. This type of test is an assessment wherein some parts of the test items, such as words, are removed. You are required to replace the missing detail.
This paper aims to show one’s capabilities in confidently dealing with various contexts similar to fiction and non-fiction writings, newspapers, manuals, articles, journals, and more.
Part 1 (Multiple-choice Cloze Test Type)
This part of the Reading and Use of English paper format makes use of the Cloze Test Type. You are provided a series of unrelated contexts from different sources to read. As for the question, multiple texts or phrases are given that contain missing parts.
You need to fill in the missing piece of the text from the choices given. There are eight questions for this part. To prepare this part, you need to be familiar with idioms, collocations, verbs, semantic precision, and tenses. You are given 20 minutes to finish Part 1.
Sample Question for Part 1:
Directions: Read the paragraph below and find out the general idea.
Currently, the most densely populated areas worldwide are those located in the cities, and the population is likely to (0)_______ crucially. It is because people are progressively moving to a city in (1)________ of career and good life. However, there are (2)______ several negative sides in living in the city. Nevertheless, despite the negative side, those people with higher earnings can (3)______ the most of their city life. Especially those who are living in cities with great attractions, excellent shopping (4)_____ and also those other perks you get to enjoy while living in the city.
(0)A. rise B. widen C. go D. progress
(1)A. aim B. hunt C. search D. track
(2)A. absolutely B. certainly C. fairly D. directly
(3)A. take B. get C. make D. keep
(4)A. occasions B. chances C. capabilities D. opportunities
Part 2 (Open Cloze Test Type)
Part 2 still uses the Cloze Test Type. However, the given question phrase for this test is modified. It still follows the format wherein a phrase or paragraph is presented with lacking details.
You need to fill the parts that lack details freely. It means that there are no more choices for this part. You need to think of the best word that will complete the given phrase.
There are eight questions for Part 2, and a paragraph or essay is given as reading material. To prepare for this type of test, you need to focus on vocabulary, grammar, and awareness in detecting grammatical errors.
Directions: Read the passage below. Find the word that best fits the blank space.
There (0)____ a picnic at the farm in the country yesterday. All of the students were (1)____ to the picnic. They drove to Mr. Smith’s farm, which was several miles (2)_____ the city. The part of the farm the students enjoyed most was the lake. The lake (3)____ about a mile long and half a mile wide. They strolled around and huddled behind the giant boulders of black rocks. They (4)____ home at about eight o’clock in the evening, and they all slept well that night.
Part 3 (Word Formation Test Type)
Part 3 of this paper is about word formation. For this type of test, you need to give the missing word in the phrase. In connection, a word stem is presented on the side to give you an idea of the missing word.
This part contains eight questions. To practice for this test type, you need to study vocabulary. And most significantly, the use of affixation, internal changes in the phrase, and the compounding composition.
Sample Question for Part 3:
Part 4 (Key Word Transformation Test Type)
Part 4 of this paper is about keyword transformation. In this test, there is a given keyword and a lead-in sentence. The objective here is to provide a phrase to complete the sentence using three to eight words, including the given keyword.
You need to construct a sentence with the same meaning or context as the lead-in sentence. There are six questions in this paper. And to practice this type of test, you need to focus on grammar, improve your vocabulary and collocation.
Sample Question for Part 4:
Part 5 (Multiple Choice)
As for this part, you are tasked to read an expert from a novel, essay, or long passage. Then, there are follow-up questions with multiple choice that follows.
Part five of the Reading and Use of English paper has six questions. And to prepare for this part, you need to focus on identifying details, main idea, tone of the passage, purpose, learn inference, and the organization of the given reading material.
Part 6 (Gapped Test)
Part 6 of this paper is about reading an excerpt from an article. However, a particular part of the paragraphs are removed from this excerpt and are jumbled up together.
This test aims to let you organize the correct order of texts and decide where they should be placed accordingly in the given paragraph.
This part contains seven questions. And to practice this, you need to understand the principle of cohesion, sentence coherence, the structure of the texts in the paragraph, and global meaning.
Part 7 (Multiple Matching)
For part 7, you are provided a passage or a couple of short texts to read. Multiple-matching questions then follow it. The goal of this test is for you to match certain parts of the texts accordingly.
This part of the test has ten questions. To prepare for this type, you need to focus on understanding details, points of view of the passage, and other particular information.
This section of the CPE C2 test is divided into four parts. Every part requires you to listen to one or two recorded passages or texts that are only repeated twice. The duration of the Listening paper is about 40 minutes which consists of 30 questions.
This paper aims to show one’s capabilities in following and understanding a series of audio clips, including lectures, speeches, interviews, and other conversational materials.
Part 1 (Multiple Choice)
In this part, you are given three short audio clips with different contexts. The recordings last around one minute each. Then two multiple-choice questions are provided regarding the audio.
It contains a total of six questions for this part. And to prepare for this, you need to practice listening with comprehension, such as getting the gist of the conversation, details, and purpose of the topic. It is also best to know what the issue is about, the opinions of the speaker, and more.
Part 2 (Sentence Completion)
This part is consists of nine questions. The type of questions for this is a series of incomplete sentences, in which you need to fill each gap.
You need to listen to a given monologue that lasts for three to four minutes. The monologue contains information that will help you to answer the incomplete sentences.
To practice for this part, you need to improve your listening skills, be on the lookout for specific information mentioned in the audio, the opinion of the speaker, and more.
Part 3 (Multiple Choice)
As for part 3, an audio of the interaction between speakers is provided. The recording will approximately last three to four minutes. And you are required to listen to the recording then answer the follow-up questions with multiple choices after.
Part 3 is a little bit similar to Listening part 1. However, the difference for recording in part 3 is longer, and more than one speaker is involved.
There are five questions for this part. To practice this, you need to focus on getting the gist of the audio presented, identifying the speaker’s different opinions, interference, and more.
Part 4 (Multiple Matching)
Part 4 of the Listening paper is consists of five themed monologues. The duration of the monologues only lasts about 35 seconds each. After listening to the audio presented, you will answer the following multiple matching questions.
Each monologue presented is followed by a question regarding the audio. You need to match the choices given to the corresponding speaker. There are ten questions for this part.
Furthermore, to prepare for this type of test, you need to improve your listening skills, listen intently, get the gist of the conversation, pinpoint the main points, and interpret the given context.
The writing paper of the CPE C2 test is split into two parts. The duration of this section is about one hour and 30 minutes. This test aims to assess one’s capabilities in writing various papers, including essays, articles, reports, reviews, and more.
This part of the writing test has a compulsory question that you need to answer. Moreover, it means that there are no other questions for this part.
In addition to that, two passages or contexts are presented to you to read. Then, from the given context, you are needed to write an essay with the pieces of information from it.
The essay needs to have approximately 240 to 280 words. To prepare for this part of the writing test, you need to write comprehensive essays and summarize all the presented information. Furthermore, you must also know how to integrate critical points in your paper and also coherence.
Sample Question for Part 1:
As for Part 2 of the writing, there are four choices of questions to choose from. You can freely select what topic they will write about, containing 280 to 320 words. It can be an article, a letter, a report, an opinion, or a review for questions two to four.
However, for question five, if you can read one of the sets of books listed in the CPE Handbook, you can do choose this question. You can also select one of the two tasks for question five.
It can either be writing an article, report, essay, letter, or a review for the book. To prepare for this writing test, you can practice writing the different styles mentioned above.
Sample Question for Part 2: (Writing Opinion)
Sample Question for Part 2: (Writing Letter of Complaint)
The Speaking part of the CPE C2 test has three parts. The duration of this section is about 16 minutes per pair of test-takers which means that you need a partner that is also taking the test to do this.
In addition, there are two examiners present during this test. The first examiner conducts the test and gives instructions, and the other examiner is the one who will listen to your conversation and will assess the whole discussion.
The tasks for this test involve a short exchange of conversation between the first examiner, and the other is a collaborative task between the two test-takers.
This test aims to assess one’s capabilities in communicating effectively in a face-to-face setting and the test-takers performance throughout the whole exam.
Part 1 (Interview)
As for this part, the examiner and the test-taker converse addressing the questions of the former. Then, the examiner will ask a series of questions about various topics or yourself. It takes about two minutes to complete this part.
This part of the speaking test assesses the test-takers ability to give information about themselves.
Part 2 (Collaborative Task)
Part 2 of the Speaking test is a collaborative task between two test-takers. First, there is a picture presented with an instruction. Then, you are asked to react to the image shown for about a minute.
After it, a decision-making task is given to both test-takers, then they need to collaborate and negotiate together. This part aims to assess the your ability to discuss, speculate, and negotiate towards an outcome.
To prepare for this part, you need to practice sustaining a conversation. You need to know how to exchange ideas, express your opinions, making suggestions, speculating, and coming up with a decision. The whole duration of this part is about four minutes.
Part 3 (Long Turn and Discussion)
For two minutes, the test-taker is tasked to speak about a particular topic from a card given, uninterrupted. After that, the other test-taker needs to listen to the speaker(test-taker) and only talk after the first test-taker is done and vice versa.
After speaking, your partner (test-taker no.2) can ask follow-up questions regarding the topic you have discussed. Then, the examiner can also join the discussion, asking questions addressed to both of you.
In addition, you also need to know how to organize your ideas, be coherent in expressing them, and justifying opinions and the likes. This part takes about 10 minutes to finish, and a six-minute duration is given for the discussion.
What are the 2 Types of the CPE C2 Exam?
There are two types of the CPE C2 Exam where the test-takers can choose what they want to take. The two types of the test are all similar in terms of contents and duration in all four papers.
1. CPE C2 Paper-Based Test
There is no difference in terms of the exam’s content and the duration of the whole test. However, in this paper-based test, you, as the test-taker, will use paper, a pen, or a pencil when taking the written paper.
2. CPE C2 Computer-Based Test
For the computer-based test, you will take it on the computer. This type is just a computerized format of the CPE English Test. In addition, all tests are needed to be taken in the official testing centers.
The speaking paper of the CPE is still both performed in pairs and done face-to-face with the two examiners; either you choose the paper-based or the computer-based test. Moreover, the speaking paper is scheduled for another day from the written and listening paper of the CPE.
How Does Scoring for the C2 Proficiency Test Work?
There are three passing levels for the CPE C2 exam. It includes:
- Grades A (overall scores of 220 to 230)
- Grade B (overall scores of 213 to 219)
- Grade C (overall scores of 200 to 212)
All these grades will receive the C2 Level Proficiency Certification.
The overall scores are based on the total scores of the four papers of the test. Those with an overall score of 180 to 199 will receive the C1 Level Proficiency Certification.
And those overall scores under 180 are considered a failing grade since they did not reach the C2 level of proficiency. Therefore, those scores under 180 will not receive certification, but the scores will still be reflected in the Statement of Results.
|CPE SCORE SCALE||GRADE||CEFR LEVEL|
|220 – 230||Grade A||C2|
|213 – 219||Grade B||C2|
|200 – 212||Grade C||C2|
|180 – 199||Level C1||C1|
The CPE C2 test official results are accessible on their website. In addition, the test results for those who took the paper-based format will be available four to six weeks after taking the exam.
And for those who opt to take the computer-based test, results will be available after two to three weeks of the exam date.
CEFR Standardized Levels
The CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) is a relevant reference for language proficiency. It has six levels that consist of A1 to C2.
|CEFR Levels||Language Proficiency Levels||Description|
Can fully understand the language in written or spoken format with ease.
Has the ability to address any issues and can understand finer details of the context.
Has the ability to express oneself with fluency and coherence in complex situations.
English level is similar to native speakers.
One has a complex understanding of different contexts.
Can express oneself fluently without using too many unnecessary fillers.
Has the ability to use the language effectively in most situations.
Can produce well-structured, precise details of context to different subjects.
Can identify main ideas about specific and abstract topics.
Can understand and interact spontaneously using the language with native speakers.
Knows how to give a clear and detailed context on various topics.
Has the capacity to understand critical points and provide inputs on familiar topics such as work, entertainment, and the likes.
Can use the language and deal with situations, give a brief explanation for plans, opinions, etc.
Has the capacity to understand sentences, can communicate in a simple form.
Can use the language using simple words.
Can understand the basics of the language. Can use the language simply, can interact slowly.
The certification from the CPE C2 test has no expiration. However, there are some institutions or universities that require recent results for this test. It is best to contact them for further details and clarification on what they require for their admissions.
CPE C2 Exam Dates and Locations
The registration for the CPE C2 test is through their official testing centers. You may visit their website to find the exam centers in your location and their contact details. And also, you may pay using your debit card or credit card.
Once you have completed the registration process, an email will be sent to you containing all the details for your CPE C2 exam. Save and print the document and bring it with you on your scheduled test date.
Furthermore, you can directly contact the nearest testing center in your area about the exam schedules and how to book one. Schedules for the exam are available throughout the year. Just check the availability of CPE C2 test schedules with the testing centers near you.
The testing center will also be the ones to inform you regarding the rescheduling of exams. However, keep in mind that there will be no refund for the exam fee when you fail to attend your scheduled test date.
How to Prepare for CPE C2 Exam
The C2 Proficiency exam is one of the most highly recognized and in-demand English advanced tests available worldwide. However, relying on your exceptional English language skills and abilities is not enough in some points to ace this test.
Like any other test, preparation is crucial, especially when you need the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English. We have listed here some ways to help you prepare for the CPE English test.
1. Get to Know the Manner of C2 Proficiency Exam
We already have discussed the CPE C2 test format in the early parts of this article. Knowing the test format is essential for you. It will help you gear up and be prepared for what is coming.
For example, in the writing paper, you will know how to write an essay according to the given instructions of the test. Or, in the speaking paper, you can practice based on the structure of the exam.
You are now familiar with the test format and the procedure, so you already know what to expect from the exam, and that is the first step to help you ace it. Your preparation for the exam will is more manageable, and you now know what to focus on first and all.
2. Devise a Study Plan
Upon knowing the structure of the exam, you can now devise your study plan. Organize your schedule according to your level. It simply means you need to create one that is effective for you.
Devise your study plan according to your study habits and learning styles. You must consider the things that work for you and those that do not. For example, what time of the day can you focus more? Is it early in the morning or late at night?
Next is to create a timetable for all of your daily activities. For sure, you have other commitments as well. However, creating a timetable will give you more focus and direction. Manage your time effectively, assign each task a schedule, and do not forget to leave some time for a break.
3. Study For Each CPE C2 Paper
There are four papers in this test that focuses primarily on the four English Skills. Earlier, we have presented how each paper assesses your four skills, the type of questions per paper, and how to prepare for it.
Do a self-evaluation on what you find hard among the CPE English Papers we have mentioned above. In this way, you know what to focus on more, either in writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
Spend more time studying and preparing for the skill that you want to improve. However, do not also forget to review the other papers in this test. Remember that it is good to be armed and be prepared in all aspects of the CPE English Test.
4. Do a Mock Test
Taking a mock test now and then is also important. In this way, you will know your progress for the review you are doing. For example, you may ask yourself the following questions, “are you making progress, or are you failing in some parts?” Or “is your review plan effective?” It will help you evaluate where you stand in your preparation.
The mock test will help you evaluate your review techniques if it gives you positive results or the opposite. Do not be afraid if you get a lower score than you have expected. It is a good avenue for you to do more the next time.
Moreover, taking many mock tests will also give you a lot of benefits. First, it will help you get more comfortable in taking the test. Second, it can also help you prime yourself and your brain for the upcoming test. Third, you will get the flow and adjust freely each time you take a mock test. So keep those mock tests coming.
5. Take a Prep Course
There are a lot of preparatory courses that you can enroll in for the C2 proficiency test. In addition, they have specific programs specially designed for each paper of the C2 exam. Some of these courses are offered online for free, while some are paid for.
It all depends on you if you decide to take a prep course or do self-study. Whatever it is that you choose, make sure it works best for you. The most important is your focus and determination to study and prepare for the CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) C2 exam.