The most popular official English exam worldwide is IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The exam is a standardized language test managed by the British Council, IDP IELTS Australia.
Over 3000 academic institutions in the USA accept IELTS. There are more than 1,600 test centers across 140 countries.
The IELTS test has no official prerequisites or eligibility criteria for non-native English language speakers. IELTS tests your listening, writing, reading, and speaking skills in English.
- What are the Different IELTS Test Types?
- What are the Difference Between the IELTS Providers?
- IELTS Examination Fees
- What is Average Cost of IELTS Exam For Each Country?
- How to Check Your IELTS Test Fee and Book Your Test?
- What Test Centers Are Charging for the IELTS Exam?
- What Assistance Programs are Offered for IELTS Exam Candidates?
- What are the Modes Of Payments for the IELTS Test?
- Additional Tips for Booking your IELTS test
- Additional FAQs about the IELTS Cost
What are the Different IELTS Test Types?
IELTS test is proposed four times a month and 48 times a year. Formats of IELTS are of different content types and depend on the levels of difficulty. The IELTS test evaluates all the essential skills of the English language like reading, speaking, listening, and writing.
The type of test that one should choose depends on the purpose of the individual. It is advised to prepare for the correct test type.
1. IELTS Academic
The IELTS Academic is recognized by more than 11,000 education and training providers globally. The Academic test examines English language proficiency.
The IELTS academic test determines the preparation of undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
The Academic IELTS is also applicable for professional settings. The reading and writing parts are different for academics. The IELTS cost for the Academic test is between USD 245 to USD 255.
2. IELTS General Training
The IELTS General Training is obtained for studies. The training is also useful for those who are below the degree level. The general training IELTS recalls tasks. The training is valuable for every workplace and society.
In any English-speaking country, IELTS General training is important to undertake work. It can be called IELTS for migration. The IELTS cost for the General training is approx USD 215 to USD 250.
3. IELTS for UKVI
UKVI is a secure English language test that the government approves of the United Kingdom. It is useful in proving English language proficiency that supports UK Visa and Immigration applications (UKVI).
Many institutions in the United Kingdom specifically require IELTS to get admission in your desired courses. Knowingly, the format is the same as the Academic IELTS test.
What are the Difference Between the IELTS Providers?
A common misconception of most of the people for the IELTS exam is whether IDP or British Council – which one is easier if we want to take the exam?
In general, IDP and the British council are the part owners of IELTS. Both are described as:
IDP (International Development Program of Australian Universities, Colleges, and Schools Education Limited) is a global education provider. You can get access to your ideal courses in some well-known countries like Australia, New Zealand, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada.
The IELTS exam is used and accepted by approximately 10,000 institutions.
These institutions include universities, governments, companies, professional registration authorities for admissions and migration assessments. Meanwhile, IDP operates with over 100 offices in 31 countries around the world.
IDP is an international leader in providing international education benefits. IDP education helps international students to study the language in English-speaking countries.
IDP offers a large network of approachable experts that can assist you in finding and enrolling in a university or institution where you will succeed. IDP IELTS Education connects students to the courses they wish to take. They can easily get admission to the best university or institution in the best country for them.
IDP counselors. IDP has a dedicated vision to ensure that you feel supported at every stage of your study abroad journey. Therefore, they provide approachable international education experts.
IELTS is the world’s top English language test for education, jobs, and migration, with over 10,000 organizations worldwide accepting it. The IELTS IDP ranges between USD 245 to USD 255.
IDP offers more choices and more support in exploring options. In India, IDP Education regulates all IELTS exams.
2. British Council
A British organization known as the British Council specializes in international cultural and educational opportunities. It is acceptable in over 100 countries.
British council IELTS costs USD 215 to USD 310 depending on location. The IELTS cost for UK Visas and Immigration is USD 295, and IELTS Life Skills is USD 195.
The British Council promotes connections, knowledge, and trust between people in the UK and other nations. Through arts and culture, education in learning the English language.
The British Council increases the potential confidence in English language proficiency. It promotes a high quality of education that gains internationally identified qualifications. The British Council’s work in arts and culture fosters expression. It also exchanges and promotes creative enterprise.
The British Council connected more than 791 million people from 2019 to 2020. Among them, they connected over 80 million people personally. This section is connected online and via their broadcasts and publications.
The British Council offers one on one teaching in more than 80 teaching centers in more than 50 countries. It will not be conducted in India, says the latest update, according to the British Council.
The Council also focused on collaboration between the British Council, the Foreign, the Ministry of Defence, Commonwealth, and Development Office. They are aiming to improve the English proficiency of military personnel through peacekeeping. It also has many Mobility programs.
IELTS Examination Fees
All IELTS examinations cost the same amount. However, the test is a difference in prices across nations. Different governments make students eligible for scholarships and other forms of financial help.
IELTS Exam Cancellation Fees
If the applicant cancels the IELTS test at most 5 weeks before the test date, the candidate will receive a refund minus an administration fee of 25% of the test fee.
The candidate should cancel the IELTS exam up to 5 weeks before the test date. The applicant will be refunded a deducted 25% administration charge.
Evaluating the cancellation procedure of the IELTS test, the applicant needs to complete the Request for Refund or Test Date Transfer Form. Candidates will need to send it via email to [email protected].
The money is refundable, less a 25% administrative charge. if an original medical certificate verifying sickness on the test day is presented within five working days of the test date. It must include the Test Date Transfer Form or Request for Refund.
IELTS Reschedule Fees
The candidate can only reschedule the IELTS exam if it is at least 15 days out from the date of their transfer application. The candidate can postpone for up to 34 days without giving a reason.
You should be charged a full fee without any medical condition. Here, you can also postpone for up to 34 days without giving a reason.
You will be charged a USD 75 administrative fee if you apply to modify your test date more than 5 weeks before the planned test date.
What is Average Cost of IELTS Exam For Each Country?
- The price of the IELTS exam in Australia is AUD 340, which is approximately USD 244.
- The price of the IELTS exam in the United Kingdom is from which is Pound 162 to Pound 180 approximately, USD 203.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Canada is CA USD 309 (Kitchener, Ontario) and CA USD 319 (all locations outside) approximately, USD 243 to USD 251.
- The price of the IELTS exam in the United States is USD 310.
- The price of the IELTS exam in New Zealand is NZ USD 385 approximately, USD 259.
- The price of the IELTS exam in India is INR 13250 (Indian Rupee), approximately USD 178.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Europe is from EUR 240 to EUR 262, which is approximately USD 271 to USD 296.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Mexico is MXN 4,647 (Mexican Peso), which is approximately USD 227.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Brazil is BRL 1046 (Brazilian Real), approximately USD 184.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Colombia is COP 726,000 (Colombian Peso), approximately USD 179.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Argentina is ARS 2,860 (Argentine Peso), approximately USD 27.
- The price of the IELTS exam in China is RMB (Chinese Yuan) 2,170 approximately.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Hong Kong is USD 2,340.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Korea is KRW USD 304,000.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Bangladesh is BDT 21,100.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Saudi Arabia is approximately SAR 1375 (Saudi Riyal)
- The price of the IELTS exam in Pakistan is PKR 37500 (Pakistani Rupee) approximately.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Japan is JPY (Japanese Yen) approximately 29400.
- The price of the IELTS exam in the Philippines is PHP (Philippine Peso) 11,995 approximately.
- The price of the IELTS exam in Malaysia is approximately MYR 895 (Malaysian Ringgit).
- The price of the IELTS exam in Indonesia is approximately 3,317,000 IDR (Indonesian Rupiah)
- The price of the IELTS exam in Vietnam is approximately 5,349,000 VND (Vietnamese Dong).
- The price of the IELTS exam in Thailand is approximately 7710 THB (Thai Baht THB).
Please note the above prices are based on the exchange rates as of January 2022. The local currencies are subject to change.
|Country||IELTS Exam Cost|
|Australia||AUD 340 (Australian Dollar)|
|The United Kingdom||Pound 162 to Pound 180|
|Canada||CAD 309 (Canadian Dollar)|
|United States||USD 310|
|New Zealand||NZ USD 385 (New Zealand Dollar)|
|India||INR 13250 (Indian Rupee)|
|Europe||EURO 240 to EURO 262|
|Mexico||MXN 4,647 (Mexican Peso)|
|Brazil||BRL 1046 (Brazilian Real)|
|Colombia||COP 726,000 (Colombian Peso)|
|Argentina||ARS 2,860 (Argentine Peso)|
|China||RMB 2,170 (Chinese Yuan)|
|Hong Kong||USD 234 (US Dollar)|
|Korea||KRW 304,000 (Korean won)|
|Bangladesh||BDT 21,100 (Bangladeshi taka)|
|Saudi Arabia||SAR 1375 (Saudi Riyal)|
|Pakistan||PKR 37500 (Pakistani Rupee)|
|Japan||JPY 29400 (Japanese Yen)|
|Philippines||PHP 11,995 (Philippine Peso)|
|Malaysia||MYR 895 (Malaysian Ringgit)|
|Indonesia||IDR 3,317,000 (Indonesian Rupiah)|
|Vietnam||VND 5,349,000 (Vietnamese Dong)|
|Thailand||THB 7710 (Thai Baht THB)|
The local currencies are subject to change.
How to Check Your IELTS Test Fee and Book Your Test?
The IELTS test is easy to take as it is done through online portals of institutes conducting the IELTS Test.
So, there are two portals through which you can check your test fees.
Following are the portals mentioned,
(NOTE- The British council from July 25, 2021 will not conduct the IELTS test in INDIA. Only IDP will conduct the test in INDIA)
The fees for the IELTS exam vary from region to region in which the applicant will appear for the test.
The cost range of the IELTS test ranges from USD 175 to USD 270. It can be changed at any time by the institute conducting the test. As the IELTS test does not belong to one country it links with many countries. Cancellation Charges are USD 68 to USD 70, it is a real-life range of charges which might vary.
There are three types of tests.
- IELTS ACADEMIC,
- IELTS GENERAL TRAINING,
- IELTS UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration)
- IELTS Life Skills.
The IELTS Academic test is suitable for students who want to study in an English-speaking country.
Open The British council website, then select the IELTS Academic.
It will take you to the next page in which the interested person has to enter a country in which the applicant is sitting to take the IELTS test.
After selecting the Country, the applicant will be asked to Enter whether the applicant requires any special arrangement through the yes or no option. Then, the applicant gets a question asking about the “When do you want to sit the test?”
The candidates should choose the date and the month in which the candidates want to appear for the test.
The candidate will then be directed to the selection of a location on a new tab to enter the location according to the applicant’s convenience.
The candidate then has to select the preferred location. Now the candidate can choose the venue list of the testing place. The website will show the availability of modes of tests like paper-based or electronic-based.
After that, the applicant will be asked further to search for tests. A new window opens that shows the applicant about the available test slots.
Once following the selection of available days, the candidate will be given the specific address of the test place chosen by the applicants.
The applicant will be asked to click on select this test. After that, a new window will appear that shows the candidate the TEST FEE ranging from USD 175 – USD 270. The applicant will be briefed about the DATE, TIME, AND FORMAT of the IELTS exam.
These simple steps can help in the registration process.
Once the candidate chooses the country, you will be redirected to the course opt-out page. Through it, the applicant can choose the course which suits the nature of work for the IELTS test and choose the test venue.
Need any special assistance or not, Select Month and year to sit in the test, Choose a location in a selected region or country. After that check, the venue address and medium through which the test is to be attempted, paper-based or computer-based.
After the selection of dates available at the test center, the test schedule will appear. Which consist of the following,
- The test Fee is USD 215 – USD 310.
- FORMAT of Test opted by the candidate.
- Detailed address with change location option
For obtaining a date, you will need to take the following thing in handy.
- An identification document (Passport, US Permanent Residence Card, or US Employment Authorization Card) of the test taker.
- Candidates should make sure to have a photocopy or a photo of the test taker’s identification document, as you will need to upload this as part of the booking process.
- A payment card (if an online payment option is available and you wish to pay online).
Continue the registration process to book your IELTS exam.
- After this, a new window appears in which the deemed candidate had to enter the date of the Speaking Test.
- After selecting the date, the deemed candidate is asked to pick a time slot available for the Speaking Test.
- After submitting this process, the applicant will be asked to register by creating or Logging in to the Institute account.
- After registration, Your test selection is held for the next 25 minutes. You should complete registration at this time to avoid losing this space.
- Click on the pay button. For whom are you booking the test?
- After that, fill in your address, contact details, etc.
- The next step is the applicant’s passport details as per the need of the form and attaching the ID proof along with uploading it.
- After this step, the applicant is required to add additional details as per the demand of the website.
- Then candidate gets registered after payment.
- The registered candidate for the test will get a confirmation email within 5 to 10 days.
- The speaking test might get allocated at the same date or different date or on a different day within a 7 day window before or after your main test day.
- On completion of booking of the test, you will get an automated email containing code for accessing different courses.
What Test Centers Are Charging for the IELTS Exam?
The nominal amount of the IELTS test is approximately USD 175 to USD 270. The test centers assist in the preparation of the IELTS test.
The IELTS test centers can provide prep test services like reading materials, mock tests, etc.
Therefore, the test centers charge fees for their assistance that is also unavoidable.
What Assistance Programs are Offered for IELTS Exam Candidates?
Candidates can apply for an IELTS test price waiver scholarship that covers the cost of the entire exam.
When applying for an IELTS fee scholarship, candidates must keep in mind the deadlines.
The following are the requirements for receiving an IELTS exam cost scholarship:
- Candidates with a household income of less than USD 250 per month are eligible.
- Candidates who have never taken the IELTS exam before are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must be under the age of 32 to apply.
- Must have graduated from high school with a minimum of 75%.
- Candidates with a 3.0 GPA in their undergraduate studies should apply.
The IELTS test cost scholarship is available for both the British Council and IDP.
The candidates will get a full refund of their IELTS price 45 days after taking the exam.
IELTS Scholarship award funds are applied to the candidates’ tuition fees only. After the British Council has formally recognized your status with that university. The scholarship will be granted directly to that university.
There will be nine prizes, each of which will be worth Pound 10,000. In the first instance, it will be used to pay tuition fees. If the IELTS fees are less than Pound 10,000, the remaining funds might be used for living expenses.
Indian students have many colleges to choose from, with over 2500 schools and programs accepting IELTS in the United States alone. The award can be used at any university in any nation outside of India that accepts IELTS for postgraduate entrance criteria.
Details on applying for a British Council IELTS scholarship are only possible after the candidate receives IELTS results may one apply for IELTS scholarships.
Because IELTS results are valid for two years, IELTS scores from prior years can apply for the current IELTS Scholarship.
What are the Modes Of Payments for the IELTS Test?
The mode of payment that is accepted depends on the registration form. The payment system differs from one country to another.
Pay Online by debit/credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or JCB)
Note: If you choose a debit or credit card as your payment method, you can pay in local currencies rather than US dollars. Before clicking “Submit” to complete your payment, you can change your mind at any moment.
The system will show you the many local currencies that are accessible, as well as the credit card kinds that are accepted in each.
Select and choose a credit/debit card as your payment method and follow these instructions
- Click on the Visa or Master logo on the Payment page.
- Enter your credit/debit card details like number, date, etc.
- Enter your name and other details according to your preference.
- Click the Submit button.
- After submission, please check your registration status. The payment will be confirmed.
E-checks must be drawn in US dollars only on a bank in the US, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada. From the bottom of your paper check, please provide the following information:
- bank account number
- ABA and bank routing and transit numbers.
Note: The Check dates received by ETS cannot be more than 90 days old. No post-dated checks are accepted.
Pay in person
You can visit a nearby IELTS office at your location and make your payments at their IELTS front desk by Cash or debit card/credit card.
Alternatively, candidates can deposit cash in several bank branches permitted by the government. You can do it through a customized deposit slip that can be downloaded from the IELTS IDP website.
You can also obtain it from the nearest IELTS IDP branch office or referral partner. The candidate is required to attach the original customer copy of the deposit slip along with the IELTS application form.
Note: The following countries do not accept American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or e-checks: Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, and Togo. For such sites, only VISA cards are accepted.
Additional Tips for Booking your IELTS test
People who want to appear in the IELTS test need to go through the registration process.
Here are some steps you need to follow to book a place in the IELTS test.
- Candidates have to select whether they want to appear in what type of IELTS test exam according to their preference.
- The candidates must be extremely careful when selecting the exam module because selecting the type is very important for candidates who want to take, whether it is Academic IELTS or IELTS General Training.
- Candidates need to be highly scrupulous while choosing the test module. They can choose according to their preference to whether it’s Academic IELTS or General training for IELTS.
- Candidates must select a nearby preferred IELTS Test location from their residence.
- Candidates have to determine and check the available exam dates and time slots. The candidates can choose the most convenient slot available on the list.
- Later, when the candidates fill in the personal details. Candidates will also have to upload a clear scanned color copy of their passport to complete the process.
- And eventually, Candidates need to pay their test fee in any preferred payment mode to succeed in the test booking process.
Additional FAQs about the IELTS Cost
As we discussed earlier, IELTS is the most popular English official exam worldwide. It has become a test that every second student in the world wants to take part in. Students work with the responsibility of working hard for this exam and motivating them to achieve their dreams. If you are one of those students, you may have the following question in your mind.
Is the Cost of IELTS Worth It Or Is It a Waste Of Money?
It can not be called a waste of money either. The IELTS test is priced at an expensive side, and the IELTS examination is marked manually by the examiners.
The organizing agencies charge for their names. These concerns one by one make IELTS expensive, and it costs roughly USD 225.
Can I Take the IELTS Exam in a Different Country?
You will undoubtedly discover exam centers or information centers in your city or nation, regardless of where you are on the globe. A large number of Universities and organizations accept IELTS. Countries like Argentina, Canada, India, Finland, and many more.
Is There a Fee for Late Bookings?
The IELTS exam is given 48 times each year. It is better to choose a timely booking of the IELTS exam.
So it’s best to register for IELTS at least three weeks ahead of time and take it when you’re confident in your preparation.