Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, center-based testing is temporarily unavailable anywhere. As a result, a rising number of academic institutions are putting in place online alternatives to the TOEFL and IELTS, such as Duolingo. Around 1,000 schools and institutions accept the Duolingo English Test, with many of them using it as their primary way of measuring English competence.
The minimum Duolingo English Test scores that the UK institutions demand vary. This post determines the UK’s leading institutions and tells you what Duolingo test scores they require for admission.
- What Should You Know About Studying in the UK?
- What are the Requirements for Studying in the UK?
- What is the Minimum Duolingo Score for the Universities in the UK?
- Duolingo Score Requirements for Major the UK Universities
- Where Do Universities in the UK Stand According to QS World University Rankings in 2022?
- Which College Does Not Require Any English Proficiency Test in the UK?
- What are the Top Courses in the UK Among Foreign Students?
- 7 Scholarshiplees and Financial Assistance to Study in the UK
- Additional FAQs About Duolingo English Test Scores for Universities in the UK
What Should You Know About Studying in the UK?
The United Kingdom has become one of the most popular study locations globally. The United Kingdom has much to offer international students that other English-speaking nations cannot, including hundreds of years of quality, high-class institutions on every corner, and much more flexibility than many other countries.
Here are the top six reasons why international students go to the United Kingdom to study:
- Academic Excellence. The UK has the world’s top universities. Some of the world’s top ten institutions are British, including Oxford and Cambridge. Practical and useful information is favored above textbook knowledge while studying in the UK. This will help you develop critical thinking, analytical, and creative abilities in your chosen subject.
- Quality Education. The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) is an independent UK organization that routinely audits all universities and institutions. It assesses their performance, identifies ideal educational approaches, and provides comments for improvement. The UK higher education funding authorities regularly assess these research requirements and publish their results. All students have access to the highest-quality learning, research, and instruction regardless of the course.
- Short Courses Availability. Courses in the UK are shorter and intensive than in many other countries, allowing you to graduate faster while maintaining quality. A graduate program may be completed in one year instead of three years for an undergraduate degree. This will save you much time and money in tuition and living costs.
- Work and Study Options. You may earn up to 20 hours per week part-time to help pay for your education during term time. You may even work full-time during breaks. This will help you pay your fees and obtain experience in your subject of study.
- Gateway to Europe. Countries like France, the Netherlands, and Belgium are within 500 to 1500 kilometres of the UK. With a 24-hour airport, you can travel throughout the nation while studying.
- Health Benefits. The NHS provides free medical care to overseas students studying in the UK (NHS). A modest International Health Surcharge is required to use this benefit (IHS). Your IDP counselor can help you with this.
What are the Requirements for Studying in the UK?
International students must exhibit academic qualifications and adequate English proficiency to deal with the demands of their chosen course of study to be admitted to university and polytechnic programs. Each college has its unique English language admissions criteria, such as passing the Duolingo English Test exams. Individual colleges and universities may provide information on academic and language requirements.
Depending on the sort of UK education you choose to pursue, there are a variety of admission criteria. If you don’t satisfy the prerequisites for one course, you may take another at a lower level and work your way up. International students of all levels can find a variety of educational alternatives in the United Kingdom.
Here are the main prerequisites for studying in the United Kingdom that you must meet when applying to a UK university:
- A valid passport is required (Should have validity for more than six months from the date of application of visa)
- Evidence of financial capacity
- Letter of intent or purpose
- Report on a health checkup
- For the UK student visa application, keep a blank page in your passport.
- After you’ve gathered all of the papers, double-check that they’re all in English. If not, you’ll need to hire a qualified translator who can translate them all into English.
What is the Minimum Duolingo Score for the Universities in the UK?
` Universities have different criteria for overseas students who want to study in the UK. Each university has its own set of standards, primarily based on the student’s course of study, academic records, and capacity to satisfy them. A Duolingo score of 120 or above is regarded to be satisfactory. It is similar to a standard IELTS score of 7 or above, according to the Duolingo IELTS conversion.
In the UK, over 68 institutions accept the Duolingo English proficiency test.
Below are a few of the universities in the UK that accepts Duolingo English Test scores for admissions:
- Anglia Ruskin University
- ARU College – Undergraduate
- ARU London
- Aston University – Undergraduate
- Bangor University Undergraduate
- Birmingham City University – Pre-Sessional English
- Buckinghamshire New University
- Cardiff Metropolitan University – Undergraduate
- Glasgow Caledonian University – Undergraduate and Postgraduate
- Hertfordshire International College
- Imperial College London – Undergraduate
- International College Portsmouth
- Kingston University London
- London College of Contemporary Arts (LCCA)
- London South Bank University – Undergraduate
- Navitas Pathway Colleges
- New College of the Humanities, London
- Plymouth College of Art
- Plymouth College of Art – Pre-Degree
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama
- SAE Institute – UK
- Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC)
- Sheffield Hallam University — Pre-sessional courses
- Solent University Southampton – Undergraduate
- UCFB – Undergraduate
- University of Bath
- University of Bristol – Undergraduate
- University of Exeter
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Huddersfield – China Campus – Undergraduate
- University of Kent – Undergraduate
- University of Leicester – Undergraduate
- University of Leicester Study Abroad
- University of Lincoln – Pre-sessional, Undergraduate and Postgraduate
- University of Liverpool – All Programmes
- University of Plymouth International College
- University of Portsmouth – Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Online Pre-Sessional Programs
- University of Roehampton – Undergraduate
- University of South Wales – Undergraduate
- University of Southampton – Undergraduate
- University of Stirling
- University of Strathclyde – Undergraduate
- University of Surrey – Undergraduate
- University of Sussex
- University of the West of Scotland – Undergraduate
- University of West London
- University of Westminster – Undergraduate Admissions
- University of York
Duolingo Score Requirements for Major the UK Universities
Certain IELTS or TOEFL exam facilities have been forced to close due to COVID-19. As an overseas student, you can use Duolingo English Test to meet English language requirements at several American institutions and universities.
The following are the top highly-recognized universities in the US that accept the DET and their minimum requirements:
1. Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the only university in the United Kingdom dedicated to science, engineering, medicine, and business. Their global reputation for excellence in teaching and research routinely places them among the world’s top ten institutions.
There are a minimum of 110-120 Duolingo ratings for admission, but the numbers vary depending on the course.
University College London (UCL) is among the UK’s highest-ranked universities in the world ranking, beating out 18 other institutions in the city and routinely placing in the world’s top ten.
Currently, it accepts Duolingo with a minimum score of 135 or better. This varies depending on your chosen course.
3. King’s College London
King’s College London is notably well-known in the humanities, law, sciences, and social sciences, including international affairs. It is a very competitive institution, with an overall admittance rate of only 13%. If you can show that you are unable to attend a test center owing to Covid 19, your Duolingo results will be taken into account.
Depending on the course you choose, the threshold might be as high as 115.
4. The University of Warwick
The University of Warwick is a university in the West Midlands and Warwickshire, England, on the outskirts of Coventry. Warwick is a premier university in the United Kingdom, with an enviable reputation for research and teaching quality, innovation, and business and industry ties.
The University of Warwick now accepts Duolingo for candidates who have a minimum score of 125 or above. This changes based on the course you’ve selected.
5. University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of the UK’s oldest and most famous educational institutions. Glasgow is a top 100 university in the world, having one of the most diverse program offerings in the UK.
The University, which was founded in 1451, is known worldwide for its groundbreaking research and has influenced minds ranging from distinguished physicist Lord Kelvin to Adam Smith, the father of economics.
With the following results, Duolingo will be approved for enrollment to our Pre-Sessional English and degree-level programs with standard English language requirements: 115 – straight admission to a degree program. 105 – immediate admittance to a degree program with in-sessional English assistance as a requirement.
6. University of Southampton
The QS university rankings have placed the University of Southampton among the world’s top 100 universities. That places this university in the top 1% of all educational institutions globally, making a degree from here stand out on a CV.
The University’s Engineering faculty is the only one in the UK to obtain the highest ranking in the current Research Excellence Framework. Southampton is the UK’s top engineering university. It accepts a minimum of 120 Duolingo scores, though the exact requirements vary depending on which course you select.
7. University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham was founded in 1890 by Queen Victoria and has been a part of some of the biggest discoveries made by its academics, including gaseous diffusion. Additionally, it has made significant contributions to the area of cancer research.
The University of Birmingham requires a minimum of 110-120 Duolingo ratings, although they change according to which course you enroll in.
8. The University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield is an affiliate of the elite Russell Group and is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world. In 2020, the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide named Sheffield Hallam University the University of the Year for Teaching quality.
The University of Sheffield is known worldwide for its excellent teaching, cutting-edge research, global viewpoint, and remarkable student experience. They are a member of the Russell Group, which comprises the best research institutions in the United Kingdom.
Currently, The University of Sheffield accepts a minimum of 120 Duolingo scores, while the specific criteria differ for every course.
9. The University of Exeter
The University of Exeter is public academia situated in Exeter, England. It is a fellow of the Russell Group of UK institutions and combines teaching and research expertise. It was recognized for the exceptional quality of its education with a gold medal in the inaugural Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
The University of Exeter accepts a minimum of 120 Duolingo scores, while the specific criteria differ for every course.
10. University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh, founded in 1582, has a 5-acre campus. It is the sixth-oldest university in the United Kingdom and one of the Duolingo-accredited institutions in the country.0
If you can demonstrate that you cannot participate in a test center owing to Covid 19, your Duolingo results will be considered. The cutoff is 115 and applies to the whole institution. However, depending on the course you choose, the cut-off may be as high as 145.
As of 2021, the Duolingo English Proficiency test is recognized by 68 institutions in the United Kingdom.
Below is a list of the top Duolingo-accepting universities in the United Kingdom, together with their required DET score:
|Educational Institution||Minimum |
Duolingo English Test
|4||Imperial College London||110 to 120|
|7||King’s College London||115|
|10||University of Warwick||125|
|12||University of Sheffield||110 to 120|
|15||University of Exeter||115 to 125|
|16||University of Glasgow||105|
|17||University of York||115|
|19||Cardiff University||110 to 140|
|21||University of Sussex||105|
|25||University of Surrey||120|
|26||Queen’s University Belfast||95 to 100|
|28||University of Bath||120|
|29||University of Aberdeen||105|
|31||University of Reading||105|
|33||University of Strathclyde||90 to 100|
|35||University of Dundee||105|
|42||University of Southampton||120|
|55||University of London||105|
|73||University of Birmingham||100 to 120|
Where Do Universities in the UK Stand According to QS World University Rankings in 2022?
The QS World University Rankings, which TopUniversities.com initiated, is one of the most prestigious global rankings that compare the popularity and performance of universities worldwide. The QS Rankings are published annually and contain rankings of universities based on survey data, diversity, and various other factors.
The following are the leading universities in the United Kingdom that accept the DET Scores:
|World Ranking||Educational Institution||Minimum |
Duolingo English Test
|7||Imperial College London||110 to 120|
|35||King’s College London||115|
|61||The University of Warwick||125|
|73||University of Glasgow||105|
|77||University of Southampton||120|
|90||University of Birmingham||100 to120|
|95||The University of Sheffield||110 to 120|
|149||The University of Exeter||115 to 125|
|151||Cardiff University||110 to 140|
|151||University of York||115|
|166||University of Bath||120|
|202||University of Reading||105|
|205||University of Aberdeen||105|
|216||Queen’s University Belfast||95 to 100|
|226||University of Sussex||105|
|272||University of Surrey||120|
|302||University of Strathclyde||90 to 100|
|322||University of Dundee||105|
|330||City, University of London||105|
Which College Does Not Require Any English Proficiency Test in the UK?
Since many overseas students come from non-English speaking families and have little or no English schooling, they are not qualified to take these examinations. Because proof of competency is required for entrance to a UK institution, many students struggle to get acceptance. As a result, the issue for overseas students is whether an English Language Proficiency score is required for admission to any UK institution.
Unfortunately, an English Language Proficiency exam is a barrier for many students since it is difficult to pass for non-native English speakers. Many people are hesitant to take any of these proficiency tests many times since they may be pricey.
The application procedure and resources required may differ depending on the institution. You should study their websites for particular instructions and guidelines and follow them.
The following are the general criteria for granting an ELP exemption:
- Some institutions may request that you participate in an online interview to test your English abilities.
- Grades earned in English in high school: If you earned a grade of at least 70% in English in high school, specific colleges would examine your high school grades rather than your IELTS score. However, institutions have established their admission standards for particular degrees. You may acquire further details from Leverage Edu’s professionals!
- If you majored in English throughout your college studies, you are not required to take IELTS.
- Pre-sessional English Course: As mentioned before, several institutions offer pre-sessional English courses for students who want to be admitted to the United Kingdom without taking the IELTS exam and may enroll in these courses once admitted to their desired degree or diploma program.
Here are your best alternatives for studying in the UK without having to take an English Language Proficiency Test:
- University of Geneva
- University of Essex
- University of Birmingham
- London South Bank University
- Northumbria University
- University of Bristol
- Sheffield Hallam University
1. University of Geneva
The University of Geneva, which is regarded among the most outstanding European institutions, welcomes students from the second year to the Ph.D. level to study in one of its nine faculties. You will not be charged entrance fees at the University of Geneva as an exchange student.
Non-native speakers must produce an English proficiency exam since the University conducts education in English. If in the instance that you cannot provide proof of English language proficiency, you may be requested in their first year at the IUG to enroll in an English language course.
2. University of Essex
The University of Essex has about 15,000 students from almost 130 countries. The Times Higher Education Awards awarded it the University of the Year in 2018 for its worldwide student body and long-standing commitment to social change. The University of Essex’s success stems from its simple admission procedure.
Evidence of language competency is part of the English language requirements, although it is not obligatory. And there are additional ways to apply and be part of the university. If you do not fulfill any of the English Language Proficiency exam standards, you may be eligible to complete a pre-sessional English route.
3. University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham, in England’s Birmingham district, is a unique location to study. In 1971, the City of Birmingham Polytechnic merged five separate institutions. Birmingham School of Music, Birmingham College of Trade, South Birmingham Technical College, and North Birmingham Technical College were five colleges.
Polytechnic absorbed City of Birmingham College of Education, Bordesley College of Education, and Anstey College of Physical Education in 1975. Bournville College of Art and Design merged in 1988 to establish the Birmingham Institute of Art & Design.
4. London South Bank University
London South Bank University (LSBU) dates back to 1892 when the Borough Polytechnic Institute opened in South London. It became a Regional College of Technology in 1956. As of 1970, the Polytechnic was known as the South Bank Polytechnic. South Bank Polytechnic was established in 1987 and granted research degree status in 1990.
The university admits students based on merit, determined by their XII grade point average or undergraduate degree grades. Furthermore, suppose you do not have any proof of English Language Proficiency. In that case, you may enroll in pre-study English classes at the institution and simultaneously get admission to your desired program.
5. Northumbria University
Northumbria University is one of the UK’s oldest and most famous institutions, with over 30,000 students from 130 countries.
Northumbria’s history dates back to the late nineteenth century through its institutions. Students are admitted based on their XII grade point average or undergraduate degree grades. If you do not have any English proficiency results, you may enroll in pre-study English lessons and concurrently apply for your selected program.
6. University of Bristol
The University of Bristol is the following UK university without IELTS requirements. The University of Bristol was founded in 1876 and is supported financially by the Wills and Fry families. Initially, the institution had two professors and five lecturers teaching 15 topics and just 99 students.
There are numerous programs available that do not need IELTS scores to get admission to the University of Bristol. Students may also enroll in a pre-sessional language course or seek an English language certification in their home country, as long as the University of Bristol authorizes the certification.
7. Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University, one of the best institutions in the UK, is situated in South Yorkshire. The university offers various full-time and part-time courses in various disciplines.
To study at Sheffield Hallam University without taking any English Language Proficiency exams, you may enroll in an English Language course at the university’s TESOL center, where you will be prepared to get the needed language competence score.
What are the Top Courses in the UK Among Foreign Students?
One of the top destinations for studies among international students in the United Kingdom. It is unquestionably one of the safest and most economically stable countries to pursue higher education. It’s also one of the countries with many job opportunities for those with specific skills in several sectors. According to a survey, the United Kingdom is one of the most stable countries in economic, social, and political stability. Following your Duolingo English Test, here are some options to consider:
1. Management Studies
Business, hospitality, tourism, land, and property are common topics in management studies courses.
Management abilities are highly transferable and extensively relevant. As a result, degree programs in this discipline equip students for employment in almost every professional sector. You’ll learn how to create an efficient and effective workplace, from organizational structure to human resource management.
Where to Study Management Studies in the UK:
- Imperial College London
- King’s College London
- The University of Warwick
- University of Glasgow
2. Engineering and Technology
The most outstanding engineering and technology schools globally are located in the United Kingdom. Their research-based study programs are designed to provide you with the skills and information needed in the work market. Several engineering companies are based in the United Kingdom, and colleges have numerous connections with these firms to provide internships and career possibilities. This explains why Engineering degrees are more prevalent in the United Kingdom.
Where to Study Engineering in the UK:
- University of Portsmouth
- Queen’s University Belfast
- University of York
- University of Bath
- Newcastle University
3. Studies in Business and Administration
From the financial side to marketing, business and administration courses teach you all you need to know about how a firm works.
This topic field lends itself to several combinations, including analysis, statistics, economics, mathematics, information systems, music, fashion, and international studies. A notch in this field will provide you with transferrable abilities that apply to a wide range of professional fields.
Where to Study Business Administration in the UK:
- University of Bristol
- Imperial College, London
- King’s College, London
- Kingston University
- Newcastle University
4. Science of Sports and Exercise
Because of the increased interest and investment in the subject of sports and exercise science, it is quickly expanding. As a result, the degree programs accessible are varied. Among the specialist options accessible are sports therapy, sports medicine, sports journalism, and motorized sports.
It’s an ideal path for sports fans since it leads to various job opportunities ranging from coaching to sports government.
Where to Study Sports Science in the UK:
- University of Bath
- University of Exeter
- University of Warwick
- University of Southampton
- University of Plymouth
Nursing is the study of concepts and procedures for assessing, managing, treating, and monitoring patients. The four primary nursing areas in the NHS are adult, child, mental health, and learning disabilities.
Unsurprisingly, this is the most often discussed subject in the United Kingdom. Despite working in a high-pressure setting, nurses express high levels of job satisfaction due to the vast number of lives they help improve daily.
Where to Study Nursing in the UK:
- Bristol University
- Imperial College, London
- King’s College, London
- University College London
- University of Birmingham
7 Scholarshiplees and Financial Assistance to Study in the UK
We’ve also put up a list of scholarships and financial aid to assist you. Scholarships for international students are available from the UK government, other governments, educational institutions, and benefactors, including Ph.D. and Master’s degree scholarships. These scholarships will cover the majority of your expenses. Here are some of our favorites:
1. Chevening Scholarship
Most recipients are mid-career professionals. It helps students from 160 nations and territories. Professional growth, dynamic training, and research possibilities in the UK are provided. The Chevening Scholarship for Indian students relieves them of financial stress. This allows the learner to concentrate on their studies.
2. Commonwealth Scholarships
They are awarded to excellent postgraduate and professional development students to make a difference in society. Most Commonwealth Scholarships provide tuition, flights, and living expenses. You may apply for a scholarship via a university, a national nominating agency, or a non-profit organization.
Scholarship applications are due in December each year. The selection procedure is based on the student’s merit and the program. Aside from your passport, you will need two LOR and, if applicable, an acceptance letter.
3. Oxford Scholarship UK 1000
Apply for the Reach Oxford Scholarship 2022-23 at Oxford University. Entirely funded Bachelors’s, Masters’s, Ph.D., and Doctoral degree programs. Oxford University grants around 1,000 scholarships via this program.
4. Euraxess UK
Euraxess UK is a British Council-run online network that supports academics in building their careers and pursuing opportunities for mobility. Euraxess UK aids international researchers relocating to the United Kingdom and domestic researchers relocating to another country.
5. The Royal Society Grants
Many of the world’s most prominent scientists are members of the Royal Society. It is also the world’s oldest scientific academy still operational today. The Royal Society has three primary objectives:
- to encourage scientific brilliance
- international cooperation to be bolstered
- to persuade everyone of the value of science
6. Gates Cambridge Scholarship in the United Kingdom
For the school year 2022-2023, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2022 is currently available. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Scholarship grants candidates to study Masters and Ph.D. programs. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation funds degrees at Cambridge University in the United Kingdom.
7. Rhodes Scholarship in the United Kingdom
The Rhodes Scholarship will be given in the United Kingdom in 2022. The Rhodes Scholarship Foundation provides around 100 scholarships to overseas students each year. The Rhodes Scholarship is accessible to those wishing to pursue masters or doctorate degrees at Oxford.
Additional FAQs About Duolingo English Test Scores for Universities in the UK
Is it Possible to Study in the United Kingdom Without Taking a Language Competency Exam?
Yes, you may study in the UK without taking any English language proficiency exam! Alternatives to ELP might include university-sponsored online interviews or a degree in English with high school certification. These may not be relevant at all institutions, although they are available at certain times.
The University of East Anglia, University of Bristol, London Southbank University, and Brunel University are the institutions that offer this course.
Can I Get a UK Visa with the Duolingo English Test?
At the moment, there are no suitable online language tests for UK immigration reasons. As a result, Duolingo is now ineligible for a UK student visa.
Some UK universities have begun to consider Duolingo scores as part of the admissions process.
However, the UK government has not confirmed that Duolingo results would be accepted as an alternative to traditional IELTS / UKVI IELTS.
What is the Duolingo Minimum Score for Universities in the United Kingdom?
Universities have varied requirements for international students who want to study in the United Kingdom.
Each institution has its unique set of requirements, determined mainly by the student’s course of study, academic records, and ability to meet them.
A score of 120 or above on Duolingo is considered good.
According to the Duolingo IELTS converter, it’s comparable to a typical IELTS score of 7 or above.
Will the Institutions Accept the Duolingo English Test Results in the UK for the 2022 Intake?
Yes! Due to the current COVID-19 situation, which has reduced testing options for students, universities in the United Kingdom will broaden testing options for students wishing to demonstrate English language ability for undergraduate admissions purposes.
In addition to the TOEFL iBT and IELTS exams, universities will still accept the Duolingo English Test for students seeking spring and fall 2022 admission.
Regardless of the exam date, you will self-report your top results and highest subscores on the admissions application.
You must take the English proficiency exam within two years after enrolling at any university to meet the institution’s English competence requirement.
Additional Reading: Duolingo English Test Scoring
- Duolingo English Test Scoring Guide
- Duolingo English Test Scores for the Top Universities in Australia
- Duolingo English Test Scores for the Top Universities in New Zealand
- Duolingo English Test Scores for the Top Universities in the USA
- Duolingo English Test Scores for the Top Universities in Canada
- Does Harvard Accept Duolingo English Test?