TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a standardized measurement test developed by a non-profit organization ETS (Educational Testing Service). TOEFL is a major English language test. The TOEFL test was introduced in 1964.
It is accepted and preferred Worldwide. The TOEFL language test is chosen by more than 35 million people worldwide. More than 20 million people have passed. The test is accepted in more than 11,500 universities and other institutions.
- What are the Different TOEFL Test Types?
- How Much Does the TOEFL Test Cost?
- How to Check your TOEFL Test Fee and Book Your Test?
- Steps to Register for the TOEFL iBT Test
- What Test Centers Are Charging for the TOEFL exam?
- What are the Modes of Payments for TOEFL Exams?
- Tips for Booking your TOEFL test
- Additional FAQs About the TOEFL Cost
What are the Different TOEFL Test Types?
There are three types of TOEFL exams. The TOEFL test scores are important and primarily used by universities as part of the admissions process.TOEFL is one of the primary English-language tests in the world.
It tests all four language skills — TOEFL iBT enhances skills like reading, listening, speaking, and writing. Throughout the calendar, the TOEFL iBT offers on specific dates. The start time and dates schedule vary from month to month as proposed by ETS.
It is a paper version (PBT) Paper-based Test. TOEFL PBT is available where internet tests are not applicable. The TOEFL PBT also measures all the language skills like listening, reading, writing, and grammar.
The TOEFL PBT consists of three sections. The paper test usually takes 2.5 hours to complete. Its cost is different from the iBT TOEFL test. It is administered on specific dates in different countries.
TOEFL Junior Standard
It increases the scope for each student’s ability in multiple areas of English-language capabilities. The test program offers convenient and flexible testing, and the TOEFL Junior has two types- the TOEFL Junior Standard test and TOEFL Junior Speaking test.
How Much Does the TOEFL Test Cost?
Average Cost of TOEFL Exam
- The TOEFL fee for test-takers all over the Philippines is the same and is currently USD 225 that is approximately 11,200 Philippine Pesos. The UKVI (the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration) is 11650 PHP (Philippine Pesos).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Vietnam is USD 200, which is approximately 4,608,750.48 Vietnamese Dong (VND).
- In India, the TOEFL exam fee in India is USD 180 (about ₹12,487)
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Indonesia is 205 USD which is approximately 2,917,346.31 Indonesian Rupiahs (IDR).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Japan is USD 245, which is approximately 27,231.65 Japanese Yen (JPY).
- OnceOnce youyou open an account with the NEEA and register for the TOEFL test, in China. Then pay the test fee (currently at 2100 yuan).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Canada is USD 245 that is approximately 311.93 CAD (Canadian Dollar)
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Pakistan is USD 200 that is approximately 35,013.57 Pakistani Rupee (PKR).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in New Zealand is USD 265 that is approximately 390 NZD (New Zealand).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in South Korea is USD 200, which is approximately 239,076.99 South Korean won.
- In Brazil, the TOEFL cost is USD 215 and 1,120 BRL (Brazilian Real) but keep in mind the exchange rate against the Brazilian real may rise or fall over time.
- The test fee for the TOEFL iBT is USD 260 in Germany (approx. 230.17 Euros (EUR).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Italy is USD 280, which is approximately 236.99 Euros (EUR).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in France is USD 280, which is approximately 234.60 Euros (EUR).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Spain is USD 255 that is approximately 225.40 Euros (EUR)
- The price of the TOEFL exam in The Netherlands is USD 270 that is approximately 233.48 Euros (EUR)
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Belgium is currently fixed at USD 280 that is equivalent to 240 Euros.
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Russia is USD 270, which is approximately 19,969.93 Russian Rubles.
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Austria is USD 280, which is approximately 241.42 Euros (EUR).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Finland is 290 USD, which is approximately 245.52 Euros (EUR).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Croatia is USD 260, which is approximately 1,728.40 Croatian Kuna (HRK).
- The price of the TOEFL exam in Hungary is USD 220, which is approximately 66,160.78 Hungarian Forint (HUF).
|TOEFL Exams Fees|
Late registration for the TOEFL
TOEFL registrations get closed seven days before the registered test exam date. Registration for the exam is still possible with a late fee of US 50 within four days before the exam.
Exam cancellation fees
The TOEFL exam cancellation is done through the same channel used for registering. The cancellation process is possible any time before the TOEFL test.
As per ETS guidelines on the cancellation policy, it is refundable. If the Applicants cancel the test at least four days from the test days, receive a 50% refund. Cash refunds are not available.
Candidates can reschedule the TOEFL exam with a rescheduling fee of US 60. Applicants must reschedule at least four full days before the original exam date.
Some lucky candidates can receive free rescheduling, and a new test can be applied up to 12 months after the original date. The rescheduling can be done online or by phone. It is also possible with the mail, email, and the test center.
Reinstatement of Canceled Scores
The request for reinstating TOEFL iBT scores must be received no later than 60 days after the test date. The TOEFL Reinstatement of canceled scores fee is USD 20. The two modes for requesting reinstatement are either from the candidate’s ETS account or by finishing and returning the request form (PDF).
It applies only to the scores canceled on the test day. The reinstatement of canceled scores takes almost three weeks from the request and payment. The scores are obtained in the account and sent to the designated institutions.
Additional Score Reports (Per Institution or Agency)
The applicant has to pay USD 20 for every additional scorecard. The candidate can add or delete the scores throughout the ETS account before the local test center.
It is designated by the ETS Data Manager, Scorelink service, and Postal Mail, and these methods require filling out the TOEFL iBT Additional Score Report Request Form (PDF).There are different options for Additional score reports (per institution or agency) before and after testing of TOEFL PBT and TOEFL iBT.
Speaking or Writing Section Score Review
The cost of a score review for each section of the Speaking and Writing is $80. Up to 30 days after completing the exam, candidates can request a score review of their Writing or Speaking sections.
A Speaking or Writing Section score review is requested in two ways: via the candidate’s ETS account and by completing and submitting the TOEFL iBT Score Review Request Form (PDF). The TOEFL scores are reviewed once, after which they become the official scores.
Speaking and Writing Section Score Review
Candidates can seek a score review of their Writing or Speaking portions up to 30 days after taking the test. The cost of the Speaking and Writing Section score review of each section is $160.
There are two ways to request a Score Review, by the candidate’s ETS account and by completing and submitting the TOEFL iBT Score Review Request Form (PDF). The TOEFL scores are reviewed only once, resulting in becoming the official scores.
ETS cancels the test administration and pays for travel to the test facility.
The reasonable reimbursement of the documented travel expenses might compensate the candidates.
Visit Rescheduled Tests for further information on reimbursement.
How to Check your TOEFL Test Fee and Book Your Test?
Checking the TOEFL test fee is as easy as surfing the web in leisure time. It takes only 2 or 3 minutes to check it. Check into the website for registration. The registration fee of this test is variable according to the region or country you are situated in.
There are multiple ways by which you can attempt the test, and the fee varies from the way you opted for TOEFL Test. Underneath are the ways mentioned for the TOEFL test
- TOEFL iBT test on COMPUTER
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition
- TOEFL iBT Paper Edition
NOTE: TOEFL iBT Home Edition and TOEFL iBT Paper Edition Candidates had to make an appointment. The registration fee varies
TOEFL iBT test on Computer:
- The range of fees is $160 -$300.
- Rescheduling the test cost about $60.
- Late registration Charges are $40.
- Re-establishment of canceled scores charges $20.
- Additional Score Reports cost $20 for each test.
- Review Speaking OR Writing Section Cost $80.
- The speaking and writing section can cost up to $160.
Candidates can explore additional options to attain the English language proficiency requirement like TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL Primary, TOEFL ITP.
Always visit the TOEFL website for updated information.
Fees for TOEFL iBT Home Edition Costs:
- The fee ranges from $185-$270 for the TOEFL iBT home edition.
- The charges for the home edition are the same as the Paper Edition. But, it depends on the country from which the test had to be attempted.
Steps to Register for the TOEFL iBT Test
If you have opted for TOEFL iBT Home Edition OR Paper Edition, review and meet the Equipment and Environment required for attempting the test at home. There is also special availability of necessary items for disabilities or Health-Related Needs.
Choose Test Locations
It is best to test your way. Candidates should closely choose the test centers. Before filing the form, cautiously select and evaluate.
- First Choice City Code, Name, and country
- Test Date
- For Test Center, Home Edition, Paper Edition
- You are required to enter four different choices of Dates According to your Registration.
- Applicants should select Test Time
Pay the Application Fees
Once you select the location. The candidate should study and decide the payment procedure for smooth filling.
- Enter TOEFL Test Fees
- TAX (including any Value Added or similar taxes where applicable)
- TOTAL AMOUNT DUE (Not sent in CASH)
- Enter Payment MODE
- Credit or Debit Cards
- Cheque In USD
- Money Order In USD
- Enter Card Details
- SIGNATURE AND DATE
And the Applicant is Now registered with the TOEFL iBT test.
After you Register
Once the registration procedure is completed the applicants will Receive A Confirmation Email Containing:
- Test Date
- Start time
- Center Address
If any Change in details make sure it is done before the exam.
What Test Centers Are Charging for the TOEFL exam?
The nominal amount of the TOEFL test is approximately USD 180 to 200. The test centers assist preparation of the TOEFL test. Test centers offer reading materials, mock tests, etc. Thus, the test centers charge fees for their assistant that is also skippable. It is possible if the applicants prepare themselves on their own.
Financial Assistance for the TOEFL
It can be difficult to discover and obtain a scholarship, fee reduction, or fee waiver to pay for the TOEFL test. The competition for it is heavy, but some financial assistance is available. Some resources include Fulbright Competition, the local American Embassy high school guidance counselors, and any other available resources, but individual circumstances and access to TOEFL assistance vary.
Test Prep Scholarships Available for Students Worldwide
The $130 scholarships cover the test expenses and are awarded to a minimum of four students each year. The applicants have a requirement to write essays in English on given subjects to be considered to apply for the TOEFL test prep scholarships.
High School Students with U.S. Residency May Get a Fee Reduction
When the yearly income is less than USD 20,000 of a single-dependent household. It usually qualifies for the reduction. Fee reductions are given depending on the extent of financial need with residency in the United States.
What are the Modes of Payments for TOEFL Exams?
The modes of payment for the TOEFL exam are subject to change without any notice. The mode of payment that is accepted depends on the registration form. The payment system differs from one country to another.
Instructions for Using Acceptable Forms of Payment
Note: The following countries do not accept American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or e-checks: Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, and Togo. For such sites, only VISA cards are accepted.
Note: If you choose a credit/debit card as your payment method, you can pay in local currencies rather than US dollars. Before clicking “Submit” to complete your payment, you can change your mind at any moment.
The system will show you the many local currencies that are accessible, as well as the credit card kinds that are accepted in each.
E-checks must be drawn in US dollars only on a bank in the US, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada. From the bottom of your paper check, please provide the following information:
- bank account number
- ABA/bank routing and transit number
For your ETS Account, you may pay for the test using PayPal. Select and choose PayPal as your payment method and follow the instructions.
Paper Check or Money Order
The check must be:
- in U.S. dollars
- made payable to ETS-TOEFL
- It should be signed by the account holder or an authorized signer.
The name and address of the Typewritten payer in place of a signature are not acceptable.
- Bank Name
- Bank Address
- check or money order number
- Payer’s name and address
- The Check dates received by ETS cannot be more than 90 days old
- No post-dated checks are accepted.
Tips for Booking your TOEFL test
Candidates interested in appearing for the TOEFL Test need registration. The applicants can choose where and how to take it. The TOEFL application is filed in four ways: Online, by mail, by phone, and in person.
- Candidates must register for the TOEFL on the official ETS website.
- The test is available at authorized test centers or from home up to 6 days a week throughout the world. Thus the candidates should keep a close eye on the scheduling dates and timing of the TOEFL test.
- Candidates need a wise determination to choose the TOEFL iBT testing option according to preferences. It can be at a test center, home, or on paper.
- When selecting a test date and exam format, candidates should consider their deadlines. To make sure your grades are turned in on time. Choose a date at least 2 to 3 months before your earliest admissions deadline.
- Candidates have higher chances of applying for the TOEFL test with the Test Centers. More than 60 times a year. The TOEFL iBT test is offered at authorized test centers around the world.
- Always take note that the information you enter must match the details on your passport. Always submit the form at least four weeks before the exam date.
- There are limited seats, so sign up as soon as possible. Register 3 to 4 months before your selected test date to reserve a seat. The exam should be scheduled 2 to 3 months before your earliest admissions application deadline or another deadline.
- Candidates should plan and choose a payment method before filing for the TOEFL iBT exam. For instance, the Typewritten payer’s name and address are not accepted in place of a signature.
- The Paper Edition is offered 1 to 2 times a month, one at your local test center and the other at home. Not every candidate who can take the Speaking section of the test from home must meet the Equipment and Environment requirements.
Additional FAQs About the TOEFL Cost
Is the Cost of TOEFL Worth It, Or Is It a Waste Of Money?
It is contradictory. The TOEFL test cost can be very frustrating for test-takers.
Some candidates take the program five, six, or seven times. The test is already expensive enough.
Thus, the exclusive additional charges might make the test fee waste money. Therefore, candidates should plan and measure the expense.
Its validation of two years makes it worth applying.
Can I Take the TOEFL Exam in a Different Country?
There are more than 190 countries and territories where the TOEFL iBT test is available. TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition ensures safe examination from the comfort of a candidate’s home.
Except for Iran, the TOEFL iBT Home Edition is offered in more than 190 countries and territories. For in-person testing, nearly every location has a TOEFL iBT test facility.
Is There a Fee for Late Bookings?
Yes, A late fee (US 40) applies to registrations made seven days before the test. If the candidate cancels the registration before the 4th-day deadline receives a 50% refund.
What Happens If You Don’t Pay Your TOEFL fee?
Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid paying the USD 200 test charge.
It’s not cheap, but if you’re taking the TOEFL to get into an American institution, wait until you find out how much tuition will cost you; it’ll make that tiny TOEFL look like a piece of cake.
Can you Split the TOEFL Cost over Several Payments?
The TOEFL website has various modes of payment. Payment methods mentioned on the TOEFL website are subject to change.
International payments might become problematic. It is better to use Edge/firefox instead of chrome for international cards or Paypal.