The ‘cue card’ section, also known as the IELTS Speaking Part 2, is one of the areas where you should spend your time and effort while studying for the IELTS test. Because this test section is only two minutes long, you must make the most of your time.
With this article, we provide you with sample responses to the cue card topic ‘Describe a place where you spend most of your free time. Continue reading.
- What is the IELTS Cue Card Question?
- How to Answer this Specific Cue Card Question: “Describe a Place Where You Spend Most of Your Free Time”
- Sample Responses: “Describe a Place Where You Spend Most of Your Free Time”
- Vocabulary List for Answering the Question: “Describe a place where you spend most of your free time”
What is the IELTS Cue Card Question?
In the second part of the IELTS Speaking Test, you will be handed a task card on a specific topic. This card is also known as the ‘cue card,’ as it contains the subject of your speech.
This section of the IELTS Speaking Test allows you to speak for a longer period of time about a topic.
You have one minute to prepare to speak about the topic on the cue card. To take notes, you will be given a pencil and paper.
After you have had 1-2 minutes to talk, the examiner will ask you one or two questions on the same topic. It takes roughly 3-4 minutes to finish the IELTS Cue Card section.
How to Answer this Specific Cue Card Question: “Describe a Place Where You Spend Most of Your Free Time”
Describe a Place Where You Spend Most of Your Free Time
Guidelines to answer this question
You should say:
- Where this place is
- What you do there
- How often you go to this place
And explain why you enjoy spending your free time there.
- Think of the place where you spend most of your free time. It could be a place at home or outside, like a cafe or restaurant. It would be better if this place had something unique and interesting so you would have a lot to discuss.
- Before taking notes, keep in mind that you only have 60 seconds to prepare s,o stick to it once you have a place in mind. You cannot afford to change your option halfway through the preparation period.
- Start writing down notes on what and where this place is. Describe how it looks and how often you go there. Include also how you feel whenever you are in this place. Remember that you do not have to write sentences. Simply write keywords and phrases.
- Remember that you have to use advanced vocabulary and complex grammar structures. This way, the examiner will be impressed, and you will have a higher chance of getting high marks.
- Write quickly but make sure that you will be able to understand what you have written later on. You will not be graded on how you have written on your notes but on how you deliver your speech.
- As you discuss the topic, you may want to glance at your notes. The examiner will not reprimand you if you do so and you will also not be deducted marks for it.
Sample Responses: “Describe a Place Where You Spend Most of Your Free Time”
Sample Response 1:
“Without a question, everyone nowadays leads a tumultuous existence packed with a great deal of turmoil. When you’re busy all day and night, it’s difficult to find moments of leisure. So, anytime I need some alone time, I go to The SunShine Café, a local café. My house is 5 kilometers from it. Despite the short distance, I visit this location nearly every weekend. While I only spend a few hours there on Saturdays, I usually spend the full day there on Sundays.
My friends occasionally accompany me. Other times, I like to visit alone. One of the benefits of not having company is that I get to spend time alone. Once there, I settle into my favorite spot beside the bookshelves, where I run the horses of my mind through the previous week, trying to figure out what I did right and where I went wrong. Also, because the location is so tranquil, I am able to clear my mind and plan out my week and month ahead.
The café is both fascinating and beautiful. Their meal is very delectable. Aside from that, they’ve done an amazing job with the inside design. A mini-library, tucked away in a small room, houses a collection of classic and modernized works. I can read for hours while sipping coffee and eating my favorite red velvet cake. There is nothing more relaxing than spending weekends there.”
Follow-up Question 1:
In your opinion, where should we spend our free time, at home or outside?
“I think it depends on what we like. As for myself, I’d rather spend my free time outside like cafes because it gives me the chance to meet people. At the same time, it is more relaxing for me because the environment is different. But for those who spend their free time at home, I think they do so because it is more relaxing for them since they can do anything they want.“
Follow-up Question 2:
What other things do you like to do in your leisure time?
“There are lots of things I do in my free time but more often than not, you would find me reading books and sketching. I love to knit too, it’s one of the things my aunt taught me and whenever someone in my family is celebrating his or her birthday, I give them knitted sweaters.“
Sample Response 2:
“Today, I’d like to talk about a small restaurant near my house. It’s called Nostimo. I usually go there to relax, read, and hang out with my friends. I have to go to work five days a week as a full-time employee, so the only time I can visit this location is on weekends. Every Saturday or Sunday, I try to make time for my small excursion to this place. It is situated on a peaceful street lined with trees on both sides. It also includes a patio with hanging gardens, which I really adore since it makes me feel like I’m sitting in my own garden.
This spot, far from the hustle and bustle of Hanoi daily life, allows me to sit quietly and ponder, unwinding after a week of hard work. I can focus on a personal project like reading or writing in my journal without being distracted by others. It has fantastic pizza, pasta, coffee, tea, and cakes. As a result, the atmosphere is constantly pleasant. Employees are also pleasant and accommodating.
I go there with my friends on occasion. We exchange our stories over pizza or pasta while inhaling the lovely scent of the flowers. We can then disconnect from reality for a short while and enjoy ourselves much more.“
Follow-up Question 1:
Which do you think is better, spending our free time doing nothing or doing something we enjoy?
“Well, I believe that time is gold and we should do something worthwhile in our free time. Besides, if we are doing something we truly enjoy, we wouldn’t be mindful of the time as we feel it’s another form of relaxation.“
Follow-up Question 2:
Most people today prefer surfing the net and like engaging themselves in different forms of social media during their free time; what are your thoughts on this?
“I have nothing against those who are into the internet and social media. If that is how they want to spend their free time, it is fine. But I hope that they do these things only in their free time and not let their work and studies be affected. I also believe that they should not let the internet and social media consume a lot of their time.“
Vocabulary List for Answering the Question: “Describe a place where you spend most of your free time”
Here are some words in the sample responses for the cue card topic ‘Describe a place where you spend most of your free time.’ with their meanings and sample sentences for your reference.
|Word||Part of Speech||Definition||Example Usage of|
the Word in a Sentence
|bustle||noun||A flurry of action and movement||“She adored the bustle of Kensington High Street.”|
|delectable||adjective||Delicious||“You can cook at this restaurant and prepare your own delectable dish.”|
|distract||verb||To obstruct someone’s ability to devote their complete attention to anything||“He tried to distract himself by roaming around the estate.”|
|excursion||noun||A brief trip or tour, especially one undertaken for pleasure||“We went on a three-day excursion to the beach, which took us only four hours to get there.”|
|hustle||noun||Busy activity||“I despise the hustle of Saturday shopping.”|
|leisure||noun||Free time||“She enjoys painting during her leisure time.”|
|modernize||verb||To install modern equipment or adopt modern ideas or procedures, to adapt anything to modern demands or habits||“If older businesses are to thrive in today’s environment, they will need to modernize swiftly.”|
|occasionally||adverb||At irregular or infrequent periods, every now and then||“Strange things occasionally happen at that building.”|
|patio||noun||A paved outdoor space adjacent to a home||“The master bedroom featured wooden patio doors that led to an east-facing balcony.”|
|ponder||verb||To consider something thoroughly before making a decision or coming to a conclusion.||“They were left to ponder about the announcement’s consequences.”|
|tranquil||adjective||Devoid of agitation, calm||“I’m going to bed with a cheerful and tranquil mind.”|
|tuck away||phrasal verb||To be found in a hidden or unobtrusive location||“It’s incredible how much food he can tuck away.”|
|tumultuous||adjective||Uproarious, making a loud, confused noise||“When the triumphant team returned home, they were greeted with a tumultuous reception.”|
|turmoil||noun||A state of extreme disarray, perplexity, or ambiguity||“The country is in the midst of a political turmoil.”|
|unwind||verb||To relax after a period of tension or work||“Reading and baking are her ways to unwind.”|
Additional Reading — IELTS Speaking Cue Card Questions
- Describe a Person You Admire
- Describe Your Best Friend
- Describe Someone Famous that You Want to Meet
- Describe a Person Who You Think is a Good Leader
- Describe a Neighbor You Like
- Describe a Place You Want to Travel Next
- Describe a Historical Place that You Have Been to
- Describe a Place You and Your Friend Went to Recently
- Describe a Country that You Want to Visit
- Describe a Gift that You Have Received Recently
- Describe an Item of Clothing that You Bought for Someone
- Describe a Piece of Art that You Want to Buy
- Describe Something that You Recently Lost
- Describe a Vehicle that You Want to Buy
- Describe an Activity that You Find Enjoyable
- Describe a Place Where You Love to Shop
- Describe an Event that You Recently Attended
- Describe One of the Busiest Days of Your Life
- Describe a Hobby that You Do with Your Family
- Describe a Difficult Decision that You Made
- Describe a Time When You Felt Lucky
- Describe the First Time You Had a Mobile Phone
- Describe a Time When You Helped a Stranger
- Describe a Time When You Tried to Do Something but Weren’t Successful
- Describe Your Favorite Teacher
- Describe Your Favorite Photograph
- Describe Your Favorite Subject in School
- Describe Your Favorite Song
- Describe Your Favorite Actor
- Describe a Situation that Made You Upset
- Describe a Time When You Had an Argument with Someone
- Describe One of the Happiest Travels You Ever Had
- Describe an Incident When You Got Scared
- Describe a Time When You Felt Relieved
- Describe a Workaholic Person You Know
- Describe an Interesting Course You Took
- Describe a Time When Someone at Work Gave You a Compliment
- Describe a Quiet Place at School Where You Like Spending Your Free Time
- Describe a Time When Something Unfortunate Happened at Work